Fertilized egg laying

HowdyDoDee

Jan 18, 2020
Minnesota
Parrots
Parakeet
Howdy!
My 3 year old parakeet has peculiar egg laying behavior. She laid two eggs, and abandoned them about two weeks ago.

Now she has laid one more two days ago, and another today. She and my male budgie definitely mated.

I have made a nesting box, but she has chosen a cart with plastic drawers that sits next to the cage. She laid one egg in one drawer that contained toiletries, and another in a different drawer that has bird supplies (extra food and water dishes, etc.).

Sheā€™s also interested in another couple of drawers- one that she laid an egg in previously that I put nesting material in yesterday, and another with fish supplies.

What in the world is she doing and what should I do? I already touched one egg, as I had to make sure there was nothing dangerous for her in the cart. There is a yolk inside.

I have not touched todayā€™s egg. She is constantly going in and out of the drawers, but not sitting on the eggs yet.

Should I put them together? On paper towels, for example?

Attachments

• 3A25328E-08EB-46F8-A00B-869E4BB05DE4.png
    3A25328E-08EB-46F8-A00B-869E4BB05DE4.png
    504.3 KB · Views: 53
  • D0FD172E-49BC-4C08-A909-F39045495E0E.jpeg
    D0FD172E-49BC-4C08-A909-F39045495E0E.jpeg
    201.2 KB · Views: 57

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Itā€™s ok to move the eggs into one place. Most parrots have very little ability to smell and canā€™t sense if youā€™ve ā€œtouchedā€ her eggs.

I would decide if you can tolerate her nesting in your plastic cart and either move the eggs all into one drawer of the cart (and tape off the other drawers) OR move the eggs into the nesting box and tape off all the drawers.

If she likes that cart so much maybe leave the eggs in there. It will get dirty though.

I would discard the two old eggs that were abandoned. (Or keep them for Easter and dye them.)

OP
HowdyDoDee

HowdyDoDee

Jan 18, 2020
Minnesota
Parrots
Parakeet
Itā€™s ok to move the eggs into one place. Most parrots have very little ability to smell and canā€™t sense if youā€™ve ā€œtouchedā€ her eggs.

I would decide if you can tolerate her nesting in your plastic cart and either move the eggs all into one drawer of the cart (and tape off the other drawers) OR move the eggs into the nesting box and tape off all the drawers.

If she likes that cart so much maybe leave the eggs in there. It will get dirty though.

I would discard the two old eggs that were abandoned. (Or keep them for Easter and dye them.)
Thank you so much! I have put the two eggs in the same drawer, and made it easier for her to access them by removing a couple of drawers and draping my cage cover strategically over the cart. Sheā€™s still going in and out, not sitting on them yet.

I have aspen bedding, and brown paper for her to use as nesting material. Sheā€™s interested in the filter material for my fish tank- a cottony puff of material- but sheā€™s just pulled at it and not using it for the eggs. I used a brown paper bag and folded it down in a low nest shape, with a minimal amount of shredded paper at the base. She sat it in and tore at the edges a little, but hasnā€™t laid eggs there. Sheā€™s interested in a collapsible silicone water bowl (designed for dogs on the go, but repurposed for my fish tank care). She sat in it and pulled at fish tank filter material nearby. Maybe Iā€™ll put the eggs in the silicone bowl, with collapsed walls? Shall I put them on bedding at this time?

She doesnā€™t seem territorial at this time. But I donā€™t want to over attend to her space and cause her stress or cause her to abandon her eggs. Am I overthinking this?

Iā€™ve added a water silo with vitamin supplements, and offer kaytee molting and conditioning supplement in a separate dish with Higgins mineral grit. They have a mineral block and cuttlebone too, which sheā€™s been using. Sheā€™s never been a good eater of fruits and veggies, but Iā€™ll be sure to offer a blended salad daily. Do you suggest any other options for nutrition?

If she sits on the eggs and they hatch, Iā€™m hoping the parents will raise the young until theyā€™re ready to eat real food. However, should I buy formula just in case? And if so, I am not impressed by the ingredient list of the only formula available at my local pet store. Any recommendations?

Iā€™ve called a vet, and will call again during the week. I absolutely do not want to stress her by bringing her in unless itā€™s an emergency of course. I hope also to connect with a very knowledgeable bird guy at the pet shop during the week too.

Lastly, and most fun- any idea what colors to expect? Sheā€™s a unique coloration, and dad is close to wild type - light green?

Iā€™ll have to figure out a way to prevent this from being a regular occurrence. And this in winter! As we say in Minnesota- uff da!

Hereā€™s a better photo of the set up. Crazy birds!!! šŸ’• leave it to Twila to figure out her own way of doing things! Sheā€™s a fierce little one, the leader of my three budgies for sure. Tobias, papa bird, is chill. And Tess, sheā€™s active, beautiful, mostly nice, and a little fragile.

Oh no Tobias is getting on top of Twila again! Make it stop!!! šŸ˜¬ šŸ˜± šŸ¤£

Thought I have birds, not rabbits! Guess thatā€™s why they say ā€œthe birds and the beesā€. šŸ˜

Thanks again! Donā€™t feel like you need to answer all of my questions. Thanks for reading!

Have a lovely day!
Laura

Attachments

• DCB00712-DCE4-4DCC-AF29-F5BD0361C69E.jpeg
    DCB00712-DCE4-4DCC-AF29-F5BD0361C69E.jpeg
    286.1 KB · Views: 44

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I donā€™t know what color to expect. You might find a chart online?
If you need the formula can you buy it at that time?
Just watch her to see what she chooses or where she wants to lay.

OP
HowdyDoDee

HowdyDoDee

Jan 18, 2020
Minnesota
Parrots
Parakeet
Twila, Tess, Toby šŸ„°

Attachments

• 811EE485-AB6F-434B-A556-352CB7BF9CBD.png
    811EE485-AB6F-434B-A556-352CB7BF9CBD.png
    435.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 71CAA997-697E-4074-BCED-81A76ABFEE6F.jpeg
    71CAA997-697E-4074-BCED-81A76ABFEE6F.jpeg
    312.7 KB · Views: 47
OP
HowdyDoDee

HowdyDoDee

Jan 18, 2020
Minnesota
Parrots
Parakeet
I donā€™t know what color to expect. You might find a chart online?
If you need the formula can you buy it at that time?
Just watch her to see what she chooses or where she wants to lay.
Thank you Heather!

OP
HowdyDoDee

HowdyDoDee

Jan 18, 2020
Minnesota
Parrots
Parakeet
Twila is momma, and Tobias is papa šŸ’—
Oh my goodnessā€¦ Heather, have you read the book of Tobit?!!

What to think of this?!!!

Now a different conundrum. šŸ˜¬ šŸ˜Æ šŸ¤©

If you donā€™t have a Catholic Bible, could be an interesting read on a Bible app with multiple version. I love my YouVersion app. And now I proceed with cautionā€¦

Perfect (prayerful) Sunday reading during advent!
So many unknowns in life.

Merry Christmas! āœØ

OP
HowdyDoDee

HowdyDoDee

Jan 18, 2020
Minnesota
Parrots
Parakeet
Oh my goodnessā€¦ Heather, have you read the book of Tobit?!!

What to think of this?!!!

Now a different conundrum. šŸ˜¬ šŸ˜Æ šŸ¤©

If you donā€™t have a Catholic Bible, could be an interesting read on a Bible app with multiple version. I love my YouVersion app. And now I proceed with cautionā€¦

Perfect (prayerful) Sunday reading during advent!
So many unknowns in life.

Merry Christmas! āœØ

Attachments

• 36B902BC-A836-4E31-9063-B1E6B209555C.jpeg
    36B902BC-A836-4E31-9063-B1E6B209555C.jpeg
    100.2 KB · Views: 38
OP
HowdyDoDee

HowdyDoDee

Jan 18, 2020
Minnesota
Parrots
Parakeet
Maybe you will have a pied baby?
I have no idea. Not even sure what to call Twilaā€™s coloringā€¦ except theyā€™re all pretty. Like jellybeans, they say. Hopefully theyā€™ll survive, and be healthy.

This is quite an interesting journey. I wish I could watch them all day! Twila seems to do her thing, and is not at all bothered by me rearranging things a little in what are now her drawer(s). Still hoping sheā€™ll take to the nest box, but time will tell. She always takes a while to warm up to something new. Iā€™m trying my best not to interfere with her ā€˜nestingā€™, if we can call it that. Iā€™ve candled the eggs once, and will keep my hands off now for a couple of days anyway.

Sheā€™s rearranged the nesting material around the eggs! Iā€™m taking that as a good sign. šŸ˜

Maybe Toby will feed her salad and egg and sheā€™ll finally get an appetite for real food! šŸ„¬šŸ„•šŸŒšŸ„š sheā€™s like a processed food junkie! šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    317.2 KB · Views: 40

Most Reactions

Latest posts