fighting against the odds that Pikachu is a boy!!

Boy! Or Girl!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Ok, so the DNA came back girl the first time. But I did Phoebe nail first, might not have cleaned clipper very good. I forgot to wash feet first, so its possible all my other girls poop left some girlie DNA on Pikachu foot..its a reach lol
I had out Phoebe dried sample in bag. Pikachu was still out drying. When I saw Phoebe was still bleeding I took out of bag and tried to get more sample. When I went to put their samples in the seperate bags I couldn't remember which one was Phoebe bag. Since I only had 2 bags I guessed. Gives me hope!
To be fair lutino is a female sex linked trait. You can have a male lutino tho, it takes all that special breeding and 3 generations. Pikachu came from a breeder who specializes in lutino. But I wager they DNA chicks from a clutch were males are possible and hold onto them for breeding... But hey they missed his blue eyes!!@ to my knowledge he is the only blue eyed quaker, ive researched and talked to breeders none have seen a blue eyed quaker, so its at least very rare...

So in the name of fun im taking on the odds!! Come on blue eyed boy!! 2 DNA test sent out! 2nd poll! Results next week @
laurasea-albums-pikachu-peekaboo-picture23024-img-20200322-100000484-burst000-cover-top-3568264373325.jpg

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
And, why I have my CAV handle the blood collection.

Cross-contamination is the most common cause of errors in sampling.

May you be successful, but the question is in your heart of hearts, will you be heartbroken if the new sample provides the same conclusion?

Here's hoping that your wish comes true.

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
When I got Pikachu , I had DNA male quaker abd a DNA girl quaker . Pikachu and Neptune displayed many if the same behavior. Pikachu courted Penny for 2 years, when a male was available....in my mind he is a boy.

Pikachu is so wonderful my love will not change. Just like I wanted Penny to be a girl so badly, because she seemed so girly. Yes I want him to be a boy because he seems so boyish.

I went back n forth on Phoebe, tho I leaned in on male for my guess. I have 2 girls so I kinda of wanted a boy. But it feels right that she is a girl..

Thank you for wishing for a boy for me. It isn't about being right or wrong for me. Its just my human girl brain is stuck on thinking of him as a boy. Its good to know the sex incase of any " egg" issue. But if he is a girl I think my poor brain will just keep thinking boy, you know?

Learned a little
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/9354761/#:~:text=Abstract,the known sex-linked genes.
From above
" The sex chromosomes in birds are designated Z and W, and the male is the homomorphic sex (ZZ) and the female heteromorphic (ZW). In most avian species the Z chromosome is a large chromosome, usually the fourth or fifth largest, and it contains almost all the known sex-linked genes. The W chromosome is generally a much smaller microchromosome, containing a high proportion of repeat sequence DNA. Recently a gene encoding a protein involved in transcriptional activation of chromatin has been detected on the W chromosome. The weight of evidence suggests that sex determination in birds is by a genic balance mechanism, in which the ratio of autosomes to Z chromosomes is the crucial factor. DNA sequences homologous to the testis determining factor in humans have been detected in both male and female birds, but it is not clear that they have a sex-related function in birds. A number of different practical methods have been developed to distinguish the sex of birds, based on sex-linked genes, the amount of DNA per cell and using DNA probes for sex-linked sequences."

Last edited:
OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I was interested to read that!

A boy girl pair bond ? Or a pair of bonded girls? Fingers crossed you are a boy Pikachu!
laurasea-albums-penny-picture23147-20210208-112142.jpg

Last edited:

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
LOL I keep telling you, fluffy marshmallows have no gender! If Pikachu got any fluffier it would be illegal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
still waiting on new results.....hope I find out soon!

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Gosh darn it! They called back , they haven't received the sample!!!! Yikes! I sent to a place in Florida on Thursday, they should hsve gotten on Friday.......I will give to tge end if the week.......probably going to have to resubmit ugh!!!!!

Think I saw an attempt to mate between Pikachu and Penny......

Last edited:
OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Oh, the plot thickens!
Lol! If you didn't know me you would think I was stirring the pot!!

Edit: they emailed me they have received the sample!!! Yippee I will find out Friday I hope or Monday!
Fingers crossed for male!

Last edited:
OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Today Pikachu combined good boy and pretty bird, into pretty pretty boy! I'm taking that as a good sign!
I want those results!!!

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
We have elected to start cooking the: "Corn that Pop's!"

Pass some over here please-extra butter on mine, plain for Ms. Bum.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon

We all enjoyed the deviation that "Corn that Pops" provide! Julio choose to stay up a bit later to obtain even more than his fair share!

Anyone else notice that the US Mail Service has slowed their delivery time down? Likely to assure DNA Sex verification takes longer. Its An Outrage!

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
:green2:

We all enjoyed the deviation that "Corn that Pops" provide! Julio choose to stay up a bit later to obtain even more than his fair share!

Anyone else notice that the US Mail Service has slowed their delivery time down? Likely to assure DNA Sex verification takes longer. Its An Outrage!

Laughing!
That's what they claimed, Xtra slow mail service, to find out if I have a male

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Still waiting! But having a good laugh. I've asked Pikachu so many times are you a boy bird or are you a girl bird? That just now Pikachu asked me if I was a boy bird or a girl bird? , then laughed and laughed , and said pretty pretty bird. Awww my sweet Pikachu it makes the wait worth it! 100% guaranteed I will love my Pikachu boy or girl!

Most Reactions

Latest posts