Finally decided to join

mbenkis

Jun 20, 2021
Nebraska
Parrots
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure,
Albino Indian Ringneck,
Male Vosmaeri Eclectus
I've been reading the forums here for years and finally decided to join. I am from Omaha, Nebraska, and I've had birds most of my life. I actually wanted to get into falconry when I was young. My parents took me to meet a few falconers to see if it was something they could support and something I could do. After seeing how much it would cost my parents made a compromise with me and got me a cockatiel. My interest and research in falconry put me on the path to learn all I could about training my birds. I've had a wide variety of birds in my life, and currently have a pineapple green cheek conure, an albino indian ringneck, and we have a baby male vosmaeri eclectus that should be weaned by late August/early September.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Sorry, I have to laugh: cockatiel as a compromise for a falcon. Too dang funny!

Welcome! I think you’ll fit right in with this lot. With a number of eclectus owners here too for you to lean on. I assume you’ve done some SERIOUS research on just how unique the husbandry is for ekkies vs the rest of the parrot world?

OP
M

mbenkis

Jun 20, 2021
Nebraska
Parrots
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure,
Albino Indian Ringneck,
Male Vosmaeri Eclectus
Seemed like a good compromise when I was 10 lol. Yes my wife and I fell in love with the Eclectus species about 15 years ago. We never felt like the timing would be right and our daughter was still very young. Now that she is a teenager and my job gave me the ok to work from home full time, things just lined up perfectly. I've done a lot of research on diet and health issues, as well as met several people who have owned them or currently own them that I can ask advice from. We also have an excellent avian vet who is knowledgeable on them.

Most Reactions