Finally ready for my next bird...an Eclectus!

Green_Andes

Jun 17, 2021
So happy I found this forum! I previously had a cockatiel for 20 years until he sadly died of old age. He was my baby. I didn't get another bird because he died not long after graduating from grad school, so I knew my life circumstances could change multiple times. Instead, I got a dog and sadly she just died a couple months ago at 16+ years old. :smile040:

Now that I'm older and 100% settled and stable, I'm ready for my next bird for a lifelong companion. After a ridiculous amount of research and visiting various parrot species in person, I have decided that a male Eclectus would fit my lifestyle and personality the best. I'm looking for a rehome or rescue, so I'm excited that you have a forum dedicated solely to the Eclectus to help me with any questions as I begin my Eclectus journey. :smiley5:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome, please accept my condolences for your passed cockatiel and dog. You are clearly passionate and wisely abstained from acquiring a larger parrot with life in flux. Respect indeed for considering a rehome or rescue!

Roughly where are you located? Availability of candidates varies considerably, might have to cast a wide net for ideal companion.

OP
G

Green_Andes

Jun 17, 2021
Roughly where are you located? Availability of candidates varies considerably, might have to cast a wide net for ideal companion.
I?m in North Texas, but have no problem traveling to pick up the right companion. To me, it?s important to have the right fit with an bird and to find an eclectus willing to bond with me. I was my cockatiel?s person and want to make sure there is at least an initial connection or willingness with whoever I adopt.

OP
G

Green_Andes

Jun 17, 2021
Welcome!

May I ask what exactly is attracting you to the challenging world of eclectus?
Soooooo...there are a lot of things, but mainly it's their temperament and lifestyle that they need. It fits what I have and who I am. Not to give too much personal information away on a public forum...
  • I'm single with no kids and live in a large 4 bedroom house with tons of open space both inside and outside (if I also set up an outdoor aviary).
  • I work from home and have been since 2008 in the same job, so it's not a pandemic related thing. Giving an eclectus the time and attention they need is not an issue at all.
  • Their special diet isn't an issue because they like the exact foods I like. I could literally eat their food with them! :32:
  • I'm specifically looking for a social, intelligent, yet quieter and calmer (comparatively) parrot. An eclectus fits that.
  • Their lifespan is in the range I'm looking for because my lifespan falls within that. Barring anything catastrophic or unexpected, I shouldn't die before them.

Basically, I have always wanted a medium or large sized parrot (for decades), but it wasn't the right timing. As my dog started to go downhill, I began looking more closely at the different species of parrot. That's when I started going to a parrot breeder's store 1/2 mile from my house and had many long chats with the employees (who also own parrots). Two employees plus the owner each own an eclectus which is how I first learned about them and saw them in person. As I got deeper into my research, I just kept going back to the eclectus over all the other parrots. One of the employees who rescued her neglected eclectus even met with me at a local park and I was able to handle him. After all my research and interacting with various parrots, it's come down to me understanding that a male eclectus would be a great fit for me. If the right female eclectus came along to adopt, I wouldn't reject her if we connected, but right now I think a male would be a better fit than a female.

Does that answer your question? :6_tongue:

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
That does. You’ve done your research, and not only that it sounds like you UNDERSTAND the research, which rare for people who come here asking about first time birds. Ekkies aren’t easy, when cared for properly, but can be so rewarding.

One thing I want to highlight is that you understand that a good temperament doesn’t equal a cuddly bird - you didn’t ask or say anything about cuddliness but not do and I want to preempt that. Ekkies aren’t particularly cuddly or touchy/feely birds. They want their respectful space for the most part.

And learn about hormones. I’ll spare you the dissertation, but do your research on eclectus hormones and hormonal management. You’ll thank me later.

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Welcome to the forums! I can certainly understand the attraction for Ekkies. I love mine dearly.

Thank you so much for looking into a rescue/re-home. So many birds out there deserving of a good forever home. The beauty of adopting an adult bird is that you can see what their personality is really like, and not subject to huge changes due to puberty. Not all are affected so drastically, but it happens, and it can be heartbreaking when that sweet baby decides his person is someone other than you. Also, having the opportunity for the bird to choose you is wonderful. They're so much better at it than we are at choosing them.

With the exception of the budgies I had as a kid, every one of my birds has been a rescue or re-home. I wouldn't have it any other way.

You're doing great with your research so far. Never stop learning! When I met my first Ekkie, I had never even heard of them before, nor did I have any experience with a plucker. I researched for months (and had lots of visits) before I felt confident enough to bring him home. During that time, he had decidedly chosen me, and actually bit another person who was interested in him. They definitely make their preferences known. :)

Best of luck in your search. I hope the right bird finds you soon!

OP
G

Green_Andes

Jun 17, 2021
One thing I want to highlight is that you understand that a good temperament doesn?t equal a cuddly bird - you didn?t ask or say anything about cuddliness but not do and I want to preempt that. Ekkies aren?t particularly cuddly or touchy/feely birds. They want their respectful space for the most part.
This is actually one of the reasons why I immediately ruled out a conure. LOL I'm fine with loving, but cuddling (especially too much) isn't something I want. I'm good with bouts of cuddling such as laying their head against my shoulder or chest, but if you know anything about the love languages, touch is actually my worst one. LOL I'm much more of a quality time kind of person. Just having someone or an animal physically present with me is what fills me up. Believe me, it's something I considered when looking at the various species.

And learn about hormones. I?ll spare you the dissertation, but do your research on eclectus hormones and hormonal management. You?ll thank me later.

This is something I have been learning a TON about. I have watched so many videos from the Bird Tricks YouTube channel and other various YouTubes about hormones, when to expect them, what to do when a bird is hormonal, how to try and distract them, and what things could bring on a hormonal episode. Like one of the biggest things I've taken away is to only really touch or pet your parrot on their head. Never rub their back. I told you I've been doing my research! ;)

The beauty of adopting an adult bird is that you can see what their personality is really like, and not subject to huge changes due to puberty. Not all are affected so drastically, but it happens, and it can be heartbreaking when that sweet baby decides his person is someone other than you. Also, having the opportunity for the bird to choose you is wonderful. They're so much better at it than we are at choosing them.
I 100% agree! Especially with doing a rehome or rescue, you need to know that they are ok with you. It's why I would prefer to get one more locally so that it's possible to meet beforehand. I would hate to get one and they reject me and end up unhappy. I'm one of those that bonds more with animals than people, so making sure we are able to bond and work together is important.

When I met my first Ekkie, I had never even heard of them before, nor did I have any experience with a plucker. I researched for months (and had lots of visits) before I felt confident enough to bring him home. During that time, he had decidedly chosen me, and actually bit another person who was interested in him. They definitely make their preferences known. :)
That's another thing that I've been doing a lot of reading and video watching on because plucking can be caused by a number of issues. What got me really reading about it was seeing so many parrots online at rescues with their feathers gone because of the neglect and/or abuse. I also understand that other issues such as a bad diet can also cause that, but seeing so many pictures made me want to understand why.

I definitely don't take getting a bird lightly, just like I don't take getting a dog or cat lightly. If you adopt one, they become part of your family. I am very against people impulsively getting any kind of animal because of that. You need to know what you're getting into. Even with my dog that recently died, I waited to get her until I knew I could take care of her for her entire life. I got her at 8 weeks old and she went with me everywhere until she died at 16 years and 2 months old. You don't want to know how many $1000's upon $1000's upon $1000's I spent on that dog in just her last year of life, but she was my best friend and no amount of money was too much. When people warn about how expensive birds are to take care of, I laugh because of how much I know I'm willing to (and just did) spend on a best friend. LOL

OP
G

Green_Andes

Jun 17, 2021
You're hired! J/K, we have no compensated jobs but you'll superbly mesh with the community!!
I actually have already read a lot on here and have been browsing these forums for a few weeks now. I was one of those hidden, unregistered lurkers. :14: Now that I'm "officially" a part of you, you won't be able to get rid of me. Muhahahaha! :16:

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
You're hired! J/K, we have no compensated jobs but you'll superbly mesh with the community!!

I actually have already read a lot on here and have been browsing these forums for a few weeks now. I was one of those hidden, unregistered lurkers. :14: Now that I'm "officially" a part of you, you won't be able to get rid of me. Muhahahaha! :16:

Heeheehee, yeah, you'll get along just fine around here, and I think you'll be an excellent parront! Great attitude and willingness to learn. There's much to learn, so please feel free to ask questions and share experiences. That's why we're all here :)

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
One note on hormones: birdtricks are great for general information about hormones, but you really need to dig into eclectus specific information. They are completely different beasts and “general” won’t cut it for these birds.

OP
G

Green_Andes

Jun 17, 2021
One note on hormones: birdtricks are great for general information about hormones, but you really need to dig into eclectus specific information. They are completely different beasts and ?general? won?t cut it for these birds.
I realize that they are not eclectus experts and 99% of their videos are about the specifics of other parrots. I've watched all their videos that involve an eclectus and they make sure the viewer understands that they do not know much about the eclectus. Those videos are more about how to train an eclectus. The videos of theirs about hormonal parrots more educated me about what hormonal even meant and what actions (like petting a bird's back) can trigger it and how a hormonal bird can be thought of as cute or loving to their owner when in fact its very sexual in nature and needs to not be encouraged.

I did watch that video that you posted in the eclectus sub-forum on hormonal hypersexuality of the male eclectus, but do you have any other videos you recommend or can point me to?

soozannah

Apr 9, 2021
Burbank, CA; inherited my family home in 2015
Parrots
4 cockatiels that have produced 4 more; 16 or more budgies, 1 rosy bourke, a pair of parrotlets, an orange-wing Amazon named Scoobie and my baby, a male Eclectus name of Solly.
So happy I found this forum! I previously had a cockatiel for 20 years until he sadly died of old age. He was my baby. I didn't get another bird because he died not long after graduating from grad school, so I knew my life circumstances could change multiple times. Instead, I got a dog and sadly she just died a couple months ago at 16+ years old. :smile040:

Now that I'm older and 100% settled and stable, I'm ready for my next bird for a lifelong companion. After a ridiculous amount of research and visiting various parrot species in person, I have decided that a male Eclectus would fit my lifestyle and personality the best. I'm looking for a rehome or rescue, so I'm excited that you have a forum dedicated solely to the Eclectus to help me with any questions as I begin my Eclectus journey. :smiley5:
I have a male eclectus and got him for more or less the same reason(s) as you. He is wonderful. We've been together now for about 25 years. He's my best friend, a bit too possessive (not a common trait but it does depend on the individual bird too). He goes with me everywhere, we have a special communication level, he loves me and he gets along with other birds - sort of. He of course would prefer to be my only bird but he deals with it. He's so smart.

Most Reactions

Latest posts