Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
In easter of 2021 I adopted my 13yo. cockatiel male from some of my family who had no idea how to care for a bird, he had a small cage, no toys, really smooth perches, not dowels but they were smoother than dowels, an all seed diet and a water bowl he couldn't fit in. I tried to bathe him a few times with a spray bottle when I first got him but he was terrified, and I got him a large water bowl and a large bowl on the bottom of his cage; I went in my room today and sprayed my other cockatiels to see how they'd respond the didn't much appreciate it, so I thought let me try Romeo and sure enough he started doing the bath dance. He let me spray him until he was nearly soaked. This bird probably hasn't had a bath in his whole life, I'm just so happy for him.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
BB thinks he is allergic to water..hates misting,won't go in a bowl. Thankfully he is super bonded to me and I just take him in to the shower with me,luke warm water and a gentle mist and he gets a good soaking.

Jim

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Your post made my heart so happy! There is no feeling that compares to watching your bird finally realize how much fun a bath is.
My Alex, Xander, was punished by his previous owners using a spray bottle as punishment and he was terrified when I tried to give him a bath. What worked for Xander was playing a Youtube video of a thunderstorm. He watched the other birds and decided that maybe it wasn't so bad.
I'm so happy you found a way to show him how much enjoyment he could get from being wet.
These milestones make it all so worth it.

OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Your post made my heart so happy! There is no feeling that compares to watching your bird finally realize how much fun a bath is.
My Alex, Xander, was punished by his previous owners using a spray bottle as punishment and he was terrified when I tried to give him a bath. What worked for Xander was playing a Youtube video of a thunderstorm. He watched the other birds and decided that maybe it wasn't so bad.
I'm so happy you found a way to show him how much enjoyment he could get from being wet.
These milestones make it all so worth it.
Yeah it is so rewarding to finally achieve something you've been working for for so long! I tried playing a thunderstorm video but I didn't try to spray him that day

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Yeah it is so rewarding to finally achieve something you've been working for for so long! I tried playing a thunderstorm video but I didn't try to spray him that day
It may not work for all birds, but it really does for my flock. As soon as they hear the rain everyone starts spreading their wings and awaiting their turn.

Sounds like you don't need the storm video now:)

OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Well no pics today he didn't want another bath lol but we'll see for tomorrow I guess 😅

Most Reactions

Latest posts