First Day On Campus And Here’s How It Went After I Returned Home...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ria.345

Banned
Banned
Jun 23, 2021
New York City
Parrots
Sun Conure and Umbrella Cockatoo
When it comes to parrot welfare, and understanding their psychology, it’s important to acknowledge the fact that parrots adapt well when there’s a routine in place, and when that routine is even slightly changed, some parrots (maybe most) will not be terrible with it but they notice that change and react in some negative way. They are smart animals. They know when a routine or schedule is off track that they’ve been so adjusted to. And today was the day that my routine got slightly altered by me heading to an in person class (only 1 hour twice a week) for the first time after a long time.
Now with my conure, she was actually adjusted to me taking on an 8 hour school day while she hangs out with my parents and my father is who she is bonded to the most. So when I came back, she was excited to see me and very content to come out of her cage, where she was probably taking naps and playing with toys while I was away. (Maybe my dad took her out to play actually)
Now with my cockatoo, I did not acquire him until after I started college. So he was never with me in high school or before the pandemic and such. And so that got me concerned. Because of the fact that I know parrots may not adapt to such changes so well, the fact that my cockatoo is only comfortable with me handling him, and finally because sometimes parrots can hold grudges. Cody will know that I’ve been gone for a while and didn’t take him out to play like always at that time which could make him temporarily despise me lol.
I was ready to accept that fact and was actually expecting it to happen once I got back.
Once I got back home, my mom told me that Cody and June, especially Cody, was screaming once I got back and a little before I returned home. I knew it was happening already and I was expecting an angry, bitter white chicken when I got back to his room because he didn’t get his play time on time let alone me not being there.
When I opened the cage door, CODY WAS SO EXCITED THAT HE IMMEDIATELY STEPPED UP LIKE CRAZY ALMOST TRIPPING ON HIMSELF lol. That was cute and probably was the highlight of my day to see him curious and happy again to see me, where I was, and hear me talk about my day on campus. Usually he would do his own thing on days I don’t have lecture, but today I noticed that he is all over me. Climbing on me like a human jungle gym, clicking his beak a lot, and just “holding” my hand with his long scaly dinosaur footed toes. Lol. Sometimes you have to expect certain reactions out of parrots and acknowledge all the possibilities that you could encounter with them when it comes to routine changes. After all, it’s not their fault at all nor ours but we either have to accept and learn or just be happy that our feathered toddlers reacted well to said change.
I loved today and hopefully tomorrow will be just as good!
How is your day going?? 🥰 Let’s talk!

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Thanks for sharing, I'm glad you had a great day! I hope tomorrow will be just as good for you too! :)

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Ahhh, the joys of well-adjusted parrots! Something to develop if able and appreciate when realized!!

My day going extremely well, thanks so much for asking!! :)

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
it warms the heart when they let us know how much they care.

My day was very loud. My GCC normally a very quiet girl unless chatting with me. But today she discovered a high perch that she can watch the wild bird feeder from. Then proceeds to ALARM call at every burd visit. The rest of parrots backed her up. Tomorrow I will be moving the bird feeder

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
My brother who is in rehab from surgery last couple of weeks..BB the 'teil has been super quiet he knows something is up,usally quite the chatty/noisy little guy and bonded to me but not so much to my brother...wish I could sneak him in to the rehab place lol
Yep birdies are smart creatures!

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions

Latest posts