First Molt

Cindylynn

Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
Apr 7, 2022
Media
Albums
Is it normal for a young macaw to look a little unkempt during his first molt? He is 7 months old. The chest is from his harness, not plucking. But the down feathers on his wings, I have just noticed in the last few days. He is eating good, happy, cuddly and talkative. Other than the down showing nothing else seems "off".

Attachments

• IMG_20220412_132641775.jpg
    IMG_20220412_132641775.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_20220412_132700994.jpg
    IMG_20220412_132700994.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20220412_132717227.jpg
    IMG_20220412_132717227.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 73

Henderbird

Apr 7, 2022
Canada
Parrots
Munchkin the Sun Conure!
Ooh not so sure but I think it could be due to the molting process taking place so don't want to make too many assumptions!

OP
C

Cindylynn

Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
Apr 7, 2022
Media
Albums
Ooh not so sure but I think it could be due to the molting process taking place so don't want to make too many assumptions!
The "light" chest feathers may be due to molt too?

OP
C

Cindylynn

Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
Apr 7, 2022
Media
Albums
I think so if someone can confirm it too!
Because I've heard some birds just get really heavy molts where it could look like they've been plucking a little.
I just assumed those were from the harness because they started about a week after we started using the harness some, so I wasn't too worried about them. The down showing on the back and front of the wings were more what was concerning to me.
I didn't think they were supposed to look bad during a molt, but I was hoping that maybe since he's so young he is just new to the whole molting thing and it's getting the best of him ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Yes, young parrots are tough on thier first molt, and usually look a little ragged. Lots of feathers coming in and they start to actually preen out the ones that have new feathers coming in. And dont even talk to me about tail feathers which usually look like crap for awhile.

OP
C

Cindylynn

Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
Apr 7, 2022
Media
Albums
Yes, young parrots are tough on thier first molt, and usually look a little ragged. Lots of feathers coming in and they start to actually preen out the ones that have new feathers coming in. And dont even talk to me about tail feathers which usually look like crap for awhile.
Yes tail feathers look HORRIBLE but have since the day I got him... It's like he doesn't know what to do to them, so he just ignores them.๐Ÿ˜‚

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I disagree. They shouldn't ever look like this when molting. I think I see signs of starting to barber feathers. Macaws have a tendency to FDB.

Molts I bump protein. Feathers are protein and I think the articles I have in ornithology also recommend this. They also need about a 25% bump in calories. Molts are hard on birds, and often any underlying health issues can prolong molts are the burd becomes actively sick at this time. Not that I think your is sick.

But once I took steps if extra calories and protein during molts...you'd never know they wre molting except finding feathers they still look lush and perfect

OP
C

Cindylynn

Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
Apr 7, 2022
Media
Albums
I disagree. They shouldn't ever look like this when molting. I think I see signs of starting to barber feathers. Macaws have a tendency to FDB.

Molts I bump protein. Feathers are protein and I think the articles I have in ornithology also recommend this. They also need about a 25% bump in calories. Molts are hard on birds, and often any underlying health issues can prolong molts are the burd becomes actively sick at this time. Not that I think your is sick.

But once I took steps if extra calories and protein during molts...you'd never know they wre molting except finding feathers they still look lush and perfect
I've been giving eggs and extra nuts.

Most Reactions

Latest posts