First parrot, not sure if this is going to work . . .

armsli

Jan 14, 2021
Hello everyone,

My name is Lisa and I live in SE Pennsylvania. A friend of mine recently lost her aunt, which left her aunt's Macaw's without a home. She has limited family and as such we have very little background on the bird. We don't know her age, or even if she is really a girl. Her name is Lacey. Having nowhere else to go, my friend took her in, but has a young special needs child who does not understand boundaries and she was concerned for both of their safety. I agreed to try to foster her until an appropriate home can be found. I have no bird experience.

Lacey has been with us for about 10 weeks. She is a beautiful and very talkative. I understand the great amount of knowledge and time that would need to be invested to make this a good fit for both of us, and I am trying. I've been reading the Parrot's Wizard book and trying to work with her. I haven't gotten very far:( I was hoping to have her step up by now, but our sessions never get that far because she is constantly trying to bite me. She will accept nuts and treats by hand, but I have to be careful not to have any other stimuli or hand motion and use the same, slow approach and she will (mostly) gently take it. I keep her cage door open during the day. I had planned on having her out on a playpen at times during the day, but have not been able to advance in handling her.

I wish I knew just anything about her background and pray that we can build a trusting bond, but I'm feeling defeated and thinking about surrendering to a rescue.

I would be happy to pay a reputable trainer to come to the house and work with us, but have not been successful in finding someone, especially with COVID right now.

Any feedback would be appreciated. I work at home full time but also take care of a disabled child so my time isn't endless, but I'm willing to commit to reasonable daily training, just feel like I'm not doing very well:(

Thank you and again I would welcome any advice. Thank you!!

Lisa Armstrong

25635d1610651716-first-parrot-not-sure-if-going-work-lacey.jpg

Attachments

• lacey.jpg
    lacey.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 233
Last edited by a moderator:

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Welcome and thank you for reaching out. Lacey is a stunner! The fact that she’s settled in enough to talk is a very good sign-that means she’s at least sort of comfortable with you.

I don’t have any macaw experience, but the macaw forum is full of good stuff. Read everything here that’s written by Birdman666. Sit next to Lacey’s cage and read it out loud and discuss with her...that will help with your bond.

Those beaks are terrifying, but it’s possible she isn’t trying to bite you ask her to step up. A good starting place for hour reading is this thread I’ll post at the end.

Please keep coming back and let us know how things are going and post more pictures!

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...read.php?t=56384&share_type=t&link_source=app

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Hi and welcome! Thank you for attempting this, not many folks would. P**** W***** is , maybe, a start, not really held in high regard here. All and every post by birdman666 is !
Also high beneficial is the "I Love Amazons" thread at the top of the Amazons subform here, it contains GOLD on the general care, feeding, and upkeep of parrots, not just Amazons. Really recommend you go thru that too. And as my good friend Inger said, sitting close by Lacey and reading aloud in a soft soothing voice is going to help her become a member of your flock ( family). THe stickies at the top of the Macaw forum are also chock full of good info.
Like the stickie "Beak-o-phobes Guide" there.

ParrotForms is one of the most valuable resources anywhere, not just online. I think you are making progress, believe it or not. Parrots rate of accepting change is GLACIAL compared to our monkey brain adaptability, so really , proceed at Lacey's rate.

We have a saying here - It's never the fault of the parrot; It is always the fault of the human. Once you change your mind set to look at things from the parrots point of view, it becomes easier to understand what is going on.

Stick around - we'll see you through the ride!!

Last edited:

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
What they said! Good luck, you've come to the right place, I hope you stick it out and are able to make it work. :) She's a lovely creature!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome aboard Lisa and Lacey! Macaws are challenging with cognition roughly equivalent to 3 or 4 year old child, but not insurmountable. I'd echo reading from the Macaw Forum, much sage advice. First and foremost, the beak! Often used for bluffing and less likely to inflict serious bite compared with other parrots. Excellent discussion: http://www.parrotforums.com/macaws/56384-big-beak-o-phobes-guide-understanding-macaw-beaks.html

Techniques for bonding and establishing trust: http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/49144-tips-bonding-building-trust.html

If Lacey continues biting: http://www.parrotforums.com/training/63988-bite-pressure-training.html

Ten weeks is a reasonable period of time to acclimate, well past the typical "honeymoon period." It is possible to have a "reset" of sorts utilizing different methods. Macaws need a bit more fat in their diets than other parrots, using beloved treats of bits of almond or walnut an excellent reward for good behavior/progress.

OP
A

armsli

Jan 14, 2021
Thank you so much for the replies. I read the thread on Macaw beaks and had a couple “aha” moments. I think I may be wrongfully assuming her intent is to bite. I’m going to put my big girl panties on and step up my training and work on MY response to her. So much wisdom here!!!

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
I am in PA near Allentown/Quakertown/Bucks area. Not sure where you are at in PA exactly & I don’t actually train birds. But I could show you some tricks in person of getting them out & helping with your confidence if you are nearby. I used to work with all the rescue macaws & most of the time they are just bullying bluffing you. I could also help you do a nail trim if they are super long daggers :eek:

Usually macaw bites aren’t actually that bad unless they get your finger or nail. Then, crushing the nail is a big possibility which is not a lot of fun really haha

Last edited:
OP
A

armsli

Jan 14, 2021
Thank you so much, Riddick07!! Just sent you a PM:)

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Armsli, as a new member with fewer than 20 posts, you're not yet able to send PMs to other members. If you would like, you can send it to any of the moderators (usernames in purple) and we will be happy to forward it for you. Thanks!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I believe the PM feature is only tuned on for new members after they have posted 20 times. please direct your PM to one of the Moderators, shown under their names, and they will direct the message to Riddick.

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
You can message or friend me on Facebook too. I only use it for animal stuff really & other members can too if they’d like just let me know who you are in a message! I have a lot of other animals so if pictures of creepy crawlies or snakes freak you out don’t do it:18:

https://www.facebook.com/victoria.hudson.121

Most Reactions