First parrotlet not eating pellets or seeds and having bonding difficulty

Flipgirl24

Nov 11, 2021
Hello wise parronts,
I just got a new parrotlet last week. He is 14 weeks old and his name is Edward Ludwig or Eddie. I started giving him the Zupreem Fruit Blend pellets but he didn't eat those. I also offered him Hagen's Gourmet seed mix and he liked that. I have since tried to introduce Mazuri and Harrison's pellets and even Sunseed seed and pellet mix. And 2 types of Nutriberries and Avicakes. I did introduce millet which he is eating. He will take a seed or pellet from my finger but only for a few minutes so he's definitely not getting enough. He refuses any fresh food, I did offer him chopped veggies and fruit and individual pieces with no success.

What should I do?

I am also having problems bonding with Eddie. One day, he will come towards me and stand close. Other days, it is like the first day. He is very skittish. Like I said above, he will sometimes take a seed or pellet from my finger but not from an open hand. I just stand outside his cage and talk to him. I have tried to offer millet since that is all he is eating but he seems afraid of it if it comes near him.

I would greatly appreciate your sage advice. Thank you in advance.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Hi,
Welcome
All things take time, duet changes and bonding.
Sorry your post got missed, hopefully this bumps you up and you get great advice.
I always hand feed a seed bribes millions if times a day to help make friends. Never chase, have them come to yiu. Or if fearful at first use a small treat only dish, say hi put treat in dish, give some space when they take it tell them how good they are. Use same phrases, create routine and rituals, explain stuff to them

OP
F

Flipgirl24

Nov 11, 2021
Hi,
Welcome
All things take time, duet changes and bonding.
Sorry your post got missed, hopefully this bumps you up and you get great advice.
I always hand feed a seed bribes millions if times a day to help make friends. Never chase, have them come to yiu. Or if fearful at first use a small treat only dish, say hi put treat in dish, give some space when they take it tell them how good they are. Use same phrases, create routine and rituals, explain stuff to them
Thank you for your help! I will try these ideas!

Most Reactions

Latest posts