globalist1337

Feb 18, 2021
Western NY
Parrots
2 Canary Winged BeeBees
Pablo and Petey
Both born late 2019
Hello all,

I was at petsmart today getting cat food (I only have one cat) and I was walking by the bird isle just to say hello to some birds and I saw two beautiful parakeets, they are bebe canary winged. I donā€™t know if itā€™s technically a parrot, or a parakeet or canary (I just got home) but it was two of them and they were so scared of me, and the poor little one on the right went and hid itā€™s head in the other ones neck, it moved me. So I asked the worker if they sell these individually or in pairs, she said whichever youā€™d like. I was semi shocked.. that they would separate these two beautiful creatures, they were so timid and overloaded with the people and scared. They were pricey for parakeets but I bought them, I canā€™t let them be separated or scared by all of the kids and customers. My girlfriend is pissed because I didnā€™t tell her but sheā€™ll get over it hopefully.

They only had a 29ā€ cage, which I bought with some toys, tomorrow Iā€™m going to find the biggest cage for them I can find. I also got them parrot food, itā€™s just mixed seeds and nuts. I gave them purified water, they are very startled and donā€™t trust me.

So I need advice on what to do immediately, like today and tomorrow.

I put a towel on their cage to try and calm them down a bit, my cat puccini was messing with them, so I locked him in my office where I am typing this now. He is not an aggressive cat, just curious but I donā€™t want to startle these poor things. They were just caught with a net, put in a small box and are now in a new cage in the big ass dudes dining room. Should I put a towel on their cage?

Also should I leave the lights on for them? Also my thermostat is set to 68, I live in western New York itā€™s really cold here, especially this week. Should I put them away from the window. I also know to not cook with Teflon near birds because of a story from a family friend.

Can you please give me advice on what to do immediately? I am doing research on them as well but thatā€™s going to take time, I didnā€™t plan on having birds when I left the pet store but they just looked so sad. I will never abandon them.

Please let me know what to do, and what not to do.

Also these are winged beebee canaries, both of them a little over a year old.

Thank you šŸ™ and sorry for the frantic post, itā€™s been a weird day.

Cheers

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Hello there, welcome to the Forums! My goodness it sounds like you've had quite the adventurous day!

Here's a pic of a canary winged "bee bee" parakeet. Does this look anything like your newest family members?

iu

Here are a few resources that you may find useful as a first time owner...

http://www.parrotforums.com/new-mem...friendly-warnings-keep-your-parrots-safe.html

Also, as birds are notoriously good at hiding illness, I usually recommend that new birds have a wellness check to establish a baseline of health, and then an annual check up after that. You will want to find a good certified avian vet to do this since bird's physiology is so very different from that of cats and dogs. The following link will help you to find one......

https://www.aav.org/

We also love baby photos around here!

http://www.parrotforums.com/technical-support/6287-how-post-pictures.html

I would be extremely cautious as far as your cat is concerned. Many people's experience unfortunately is that the cat is fine with the birds, until all of a sudden it isn't. Accidents can occur in the blink of an eye, and unfortunately the merest scratch from a cat can result in tragedy because of the bacteria they carry in their claws and teeth.

I'm sure other members will be along soon with some more info and advice and to welcome you and your new charges to our virtual online flock. Please feel free to ask as many questions as you feel you need, we're here to help! Thanks for reaching out and, once again, welcome aboard :)

Saash

Jan 13, 2021
Durban, South Africa
Parrots
Eclectus
Ah, its too sad to hear a story of birds caught in a net and then shoved in a cage to sell at a petshop :'(

I echo the sentiments about small birds and cats. I lost 3 by trying. The cat found a way to release the flutterlings from their cages! Please be very aware. You could try a cage that is a sealed unit (not the type where the try clamps on) and where the doors have a double latch. Cats are smarter than realize.

Teach the fluttetlings that the best snacks come from hands, and never grab at them.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to you and your new buddies! We love pics and can help identify if you have any question despite what the pet shop may have represented.

Kudos for researching and seeking information, there is so much to learn!! I'd echo the concerns towards having an inquisitive cat. Exceptions to every rule, but our Bereavement Forum is filled with heartbreaking regrets following tragic accidents. Most typically begin with a sad refrain of everyone got along well until they don't. It is possible to have a cat + birds if simple and repeatable measures are taken to keep them separate.

Buy the largest cage you can afford (within limits) keeping in mind you'll want to budget for perches (stock dowel perches not ideal) and plenty of toys. Quality food includes a good seed/pellet mix and fresh veggies/fruits. Some species require seeds, our members experienced with canaries can verify. Helpful dietary information: http://www.parrotforums.com/parrot-...7-converting-parrots-healthier-diet-tips.html
http://www.parrotforums.com/parrot-...afe-fresh-foods-toxic-food-lists-sprouts.html

A temperature of 68F may be a bit on the cool side but certainly safe. Keep them away from frigid drafts, though they may enjoy looking out the window. Birds need as much or more sleep than humans. Ideally natural darkness as the sun sets though not always possible. Some folks cover their birds to minimize distractions.

You and the birds will have a "honeymoon" period of adjustment and setting routine. These fragile creatures have no reason to trust humans, so you'll want to earn their trust and allow them to bond. Spend plenty of time with each bird and pay close attention to how they respond. Think about your desire - a deep bond with each bird or allowing them to tighten together with you as observer. You may not have much choice depending on species tendencies - others will have better guidance. Some excellent methods to earn trust and build a close bond: http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/49144-tips-bonding-building-trust.html

Good luck, we're here to answer questions and cheer you on!!

OP
globalist1337

globalist1337

Feb 18, 2021
Western NY
Parrots
2 Canary Winged BeeBees
Pablo and Petey
Both born late 2019
Thank you all so much!! I managed to calm them down, I put a towel around their cage and I have a night camera watching them, poor things have not moved from their spot all night. I bought the standard stuff I got at the pet store, just a seed mix for parrots, the largest cage which they have which is only 29 inches.. and some toys. I see that that is very wrong and have all of the appropriate things en route.

I ordered tons of stuff off of Amazon, including a 62ā€ cage that should be here Sunday (if we donā€™t get pounded again) an organic pellet mix for them, and a variety of treats, perches, swings etc. even a small block warmer I read some of you guys recommend.

They are down stairs for now, but I might move them upstairs because itā€™s much warmer but I donā€™t want to keep them too confined. I am looking forward to earning their trust and developing a bond, I am going to ease into it. I see some members recommend you let them out every day, I wouldnā€™t know where to start to do that at now but I will do my best to let them out in the near future once they donā€™t hide in the corner when they see me.

And thank you for the links LaBunka and Scott, yes my birds look exactly as the picture you posted. They are Canary Winged bee bees, beautiful creatures, soon to be spoiled ones too.

Thank you all!!:60:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your new parrots, they are very smart, and have been a favorite of many people.

Your cat can really easily kill them, a scratch or a lick is enough . Cats carry Pasteurella in their mouth and on their claws. Its a bacteria that multiplies quickly and overwhelming the body in septic shock and death. So you have to be so careful that contact can never happen. Even preening a cats saliva off there feathers can cause rge bacteria to overwhelm their body. Aby contact quickly get to the vet for doxycycline, quickly starting on antibiotics will save them.

Nonnstick , that chemical is used in instapots, air fryers, ironing boards, cookie sheets,, so many things . That off gasses when heated will kill them in Seconds anywhere in the house even behind a closed door. It tragic and terrible.

You might want to print out all the articles and advice and make a file you can go through easier.

Go slow on diet changes. I offer old food, and offer new food inba separate bowl. But there are lots of ways. But be careful as birds can refuse new foods and starve to death. I always offer fresh veggies right off, in shallow dishes or use tge burd stainless steel skewer. kitchen gram scale is a great way to track weights. But I don't want you force grabbing them to weigh . There are creative ways to get them onto the scale but thst can wait.

This is a great article, and cover lots of stuff. I dont use clickers, but I do shape behavior , I just say good birdie instead of clicking. I do observation all the time, but I start trying to interact right away with the new burd, but useing their body language as a guide.
https://lafeber.com/pet-birds/stress-reduction-for-parrot-companions/

This article covers bird body language normal behavior, then some common reasons for bites. It really great! Definitely one you might want to print and save
https://lafeber.com/pet-birds/bird-behavior/

Another bird body language article, not as great as the one above but still has lots of info . https://lafeber.com/pet-birds/bird-behavior/

Parrots are incredible, but there is a lot to being a bird dad!! They aren't anything like a cat or dog. So welcome to your new feathered kids!!!

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed. You have 2, Brotogeris Chiriri , also known as BeeBee parrots, Canary winged parakeets( or parrots) and Pocket Parrots - you'll find more information on them if you use the formal name. These were hugely popular many decades ago. We had one, Max, for 6+ years. A few things about these little guys. They are intensely curious, massively brave, and have the attitude of a much larger parrot!
In their native range, they are known for actually seeking out the company of people and are a favorite companion parrot there.

Let them settle in for a few days. Parrots do best when they are in the center of activity in the household, after all they are flock creatures. I would start to remove all the sunflour seeds from any diet they have, those are like crack for parrots. THe aim is to transition to a mostly veggie diet, with good quality pellets available and a small % of seeds, nuts, and fruits. Reserve the very favorite one for use in training! THat is how you get these 2 to accept you - bribes!! They absolutely work with parrots. You job is going to be a bit harder that a single parrot, as these 2 have bonded and opening that bond to include you is going to take time and perseverance.

OP
globalist1337

globalist1337

Feb 18, 2021
Western NY
Parrots
2 Canary Winged BeeBees
Pablo and Petey
Both born late 2019
Thank you Laurasea and Wrench

That is a great tip about cat saliva, I had no idea that just touching the birds can kill them, and good tip on the on other household accessories that can kill them.. I did not know about them, just pans, and especially while they are in the oven. Also thank you for the clicker tip because I actually bought one of those online as well.

Also great tip on removing the sunflower seeds, I will use them along side some thistle I bought as positive reinforcement.

Glad I posted this thread, I learned months research very quickly. Sorry I was in a small panic yesterday because I did not wake up thinking I will have these two guys, but my home is a much better place than a pet store for them.

Thank you all again!!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
I would also wait for letting them out. If you have to chase them around to get them back into the cage, that is a BIG trust busting thing. Take it slow. Parrots rate of change is glacial, compared to our quick monkey brain acceptance of change. Go at the rate of your parrots and not the rate of your expectations.

OP
globalist1337

globalist1337

Feb 18, 2021
Western NY
Parrots
2 Canary Winged BeeBees
Pablo and Petey
Both born late 2019
I really appreciate all of the help Wrench, and your Salty looks incredibly intelligent on your youtube channel, that's crazy how intelligent birds are.

Last question, do you know which sub forum these bee bee parakeets fall under on this website? I did checkout the parakeet sub forum but there's no bee bees on there, just curious if that is the correct one or if its under another category. I know it's kind of an inbetweener which is exactly what I was looking for.

Thank you!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Beebee's fall into the misc category. They were hugely popular at one point, like conure are now. If you need specific info on them I can help. I loved my Maxie so much, he was a great all person parrot in our family.

Inger

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your new parrots, they are very smart, and have been a favorite of many people.

Your cat can really easily kill them, a scratch or a lick is enough . Cats carry Pasteurella in their mouth and on their claws. Its a bacteria that multiplies quickly and overwhelming the body in septic shock and death. So you have to be so careful that contact can never happen. Even preening a cats saliva off there feathers can cause rge bacteria to overwhelm their body. Aby contact quickly get to the vet for doxycycline, quickly starting on antibiotics will save them.

Nonnstick , that chemical is used in instapots, air fryers, ironing boards, cookie sheets,, so many things . That off gasses when heated will kill them in Seconds anywhere in the house even behind a closed door. It tragic and terrible.

You might want to print out all the articles and advice and make a file you can go through easier.

Go slow on diet changes. I offer old food, and offer new food inba separate bowl. But there are lots of ways. But be careful as birds can refuse new foods and starve to death. I always offer fresh veggies right off, in shallow dishes or use tge burd stainless steel skewer. kitchen gram scale is a great way to track weights. But I don't want you force grabbing them to weigh . There are creative ways to get them onto the scale but thst can wait.

This is a great article, and cover lots of stuff. I dont use clickers, but I do shape behavior , I just say good birdie instead of clicking. I do observation all the time, but I start trying to interact right away with the new burd, but useing their body language as a guide.
https://lafeber.com/pet-birds/stress-reduction-for-parrot-companions/

This article covers bird body language normal behavior, then some common reasons for bites. It really great! Definitely one you might want to print and save
https://lafeber.com/pet-birds/bird-behavior/

Another bird body language article, not as great as the one above but still has lots of info . https://lafeber.com/pet-birds/bird-behavior/

Parrots are incredible, but there is a lot to being a bird dad!! They aren't anything like a cat or dog. So welcome to your new feathered kids!!!

The brand name Instant Pot is safe. Many of the other electric pressure cookers are not. Do your own research! Call or email the manufacturer and ask them if there are any PTFEs or PFOAs in their product. Make sure to ask my specific model-for example SOME Ninja products are safe and some are not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Inger

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Congratulations on your new family members! Itā€™s great that youā€™ve come here asking for help. Itā€™s really the nicest corner of the Internet and I, for one, am a much better ā€œparrontā€ because of the information (and friendship) Iā€™ve received here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Welcome! Thank GOODNESS for the 'Net, and for this place. You found the right
Community. GREAT advice and support. Almost 40 years ago, I launched a similarly impulsive, daring adventure by bringing the Rickeybird home. I can only hope you have a similarly rewarding experience... there will be hard times and easier times... along the way, you'll find yourself sharing life with us in a special little place some call the Parrot Zone! Welcome!
9lhIlM0.jpg

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts