first time bird owner seeks advice and insight

Ron520

May 19, 2020
I am interested in becoming a member of a bird flock. I want to first gain some experience in being around some birds at a parrot rescue, or someone desiring some help around their birds. My plan is to gain some experience and understanding of caring and training parrots, and then to go to a breeder of Ciaques or Pionus Parrots and adopt two birds. I purchased a bird cage recently from a online bird supply retailer. it is Bird Cage Dimensions:
Outside Dimensions: 32"W x 22"D x 64"H
Inside Dimensions: 32"W x 22"D x 35"H (35" interior height)
Front Door Dimension: 15-1/4"W x 34-1/2"H
Bar Spacing: 3/4"
Bar Thickness: 5 mm
Separation Between Grate and Tray: 6" I would like to have both birds share the cage, mostly for night. I would open the door during the day for them to come out and play in my office room. I would also take the bird cage outside in the morning hours for some sun, and the outside world. I would also plan on building an outside aviary so they can spred their wings and have space to be flight trained. I live in Tucson, so I would have a shaded top cover and a misting system included. It does reach well above 100 for 80-100 days. So I would like advise on the aviary uses like only morning and evening hours, off high heat hours.
I have many questions. I am semi retired, self employed. Normally I work from home, but take frequent car trips for business and I would like to take the birds with me in the car with a harness. I would eventually like to take them to my church, and the birds to people and the chuch kids to learning them about birds, training, behavior and a deeper understanding of wild birds who have been trained and bonded to human members of the flock.
The future ouside aviary would be 15' X 25'

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Welcome! Are you serious about this?
Whoops! I just reread your post! I thought you were keeping them outside 24x7! You were clear in what you wrote, my bad!

Last edited:

1oldparroter

Nov 4, 2019
Waiteville, WV
Parrots
I am 71, married and fairly private. I have PM privileges but prefer the phone. Printed messages, are so limited. jh
Scan the forums and topics here and search youtube.com search window with parrot ,,, (subject) and use google. jh

Most Reactions

Latest posts