First-time owner and already messed up, how do I fix it?

Ezra_Gecko

Jan 7, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiel
So I just bought my first cockatiel. The first red flag could've appeared in the first few moments of getting it when the shop owner separated the two birds then not so gently grabbed it and put it in a box (hopefully that isn't too traumatizing for it).
Then the second worse thing happened, my acquaintance, nagged it with fruit in a small cage because we didn't yet buy a bigger one and it hurt its wings. It can still fly and the wound looks somewhat like a human would scrape his leg on cement, not pretty and it has some blackish blood but it's fine hopefully.
I came here to ask if everything is ok for now, or if will this result in an untrustworthy start. I genuinely want to tame it but I'm afraid the first time impression wasn't very good.
If needed, I can provide photos of it, I put some relaxing music for it but it's not really working as it still looks very shaken up,
Ezra.

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Max (23yo) Blue and Gold Macaw,
&
PRIMOR (8yo) Red Lored Amazon,
&
ABBA (33yo) Red Lored Amazon - RIP
Other more knowledgeable members will answer soon.
But you might want to slow down and just allow the bird to learn that he is in a safe environment.
Don't worry about taming at this point, you will have plenty of time for that. For now just try to gain trust and begin to form a bond from a distance.
whistle, sing sweetly, give space...

I hope the wing is okay.
Good luck with your new friend.

OP
E

Ezra_Gecko

Jan 7, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiel
Other more knowledgeable members will answer soon.
But you might want to slow down and just allow the bird to learn that he is in a safe environment.
Don't worry about taming at this point, you will have plenty of time for that. For now just try to gain trust and begin to form a bond from a distance.
whistle, sing sweetly, give space...

I hope the wing is okay.
Good luck with your new friend.
Thank you for this reply, and sure if more knowledgable people come I'll take their advice too. The wing is ok, hopefully, it won't hinder its flight in the future.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Wow, what a terrible thing to experience!

If I were you I'd take the bird to the vet first, a certified avian vet or exotic vet at best. The wing could be more damaged than you think.

Taming a scared or traumatized bird takes patience, start by seeing how scared the bird is, offer a long spray of millet from your hand.
Do this a few times a day, and drop treats into the birds bowl so it begins to associate you with good things.

OP
E

Ezra_Gecko

Jan 7, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiel
Wow, what a terrible thing to experience!

If I were you I'd take the bird to the vet first, a certified avian vet or exotic vet at best. The wing could be more damaged than you think.

Taming a scared or traumatized bird takes patience, start by seeing how scared the bird is, offer a long spray of millet from your hand.
Do this a few times a day, and drop treats into the birds bowl so it begins to associate you with good things.
Not sure if we have those here, gonna have to check (we have general vets but not sure if some are specific for parrots).
As for the spray I handed it next to one of its ledges so it can eat it but it flew when I tried to slowly hand it.
Also here are some images of it, its wound, and its bowl in case it's not as good as it should be.

Attachments

• IMG_4509.jpg
    IMG_4509.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_4508.jpg
    IMG_4508.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 69

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed. With vet care, the best would be a Certified Avian Vet (CAV), next would be a vet that sees 'exotic' animals, including parrots, and lastly a general care vet ( a dog and cat type ). Parrots and birds in general are very different in their medical care needs, with vets taking extra courses and getting accreditation with Avian societies around the world, should they want to specialize. None mean to provide bad care, but birds have so many different needs its understandable that you want to go to one who has the qualifications for your parrot.

As zEREo and others have already said, take your time with taming etc, let the parrot settle down in his new home for now. Try not to stress him out by unnecessary handling etc. Parrots are all about TRUST. You want to measure everything with him by that yardstick - does this build trust or does it break trust? Always consider that! Example - you may want to let him have open access to the house, flying free all day. But if you need to stress him out by chasing him around the house, maybe grabbing him or having to use a towel to put him back into his cage at night, well that is stressful, more stressful than staying in his cage all day (until he is settled in and you have started to tame him). Trust buster!
See how that works?

Also good advice on in leaving a treat for him whenver you pass by his cage. Not a lot, just a little bit of his favorite treat. He will start to associate humans with good things like a treat, that is what you want him to do!

Good luck and I hope you stay with us as you continue your journey thru life with your new feathered baby! Any questions? Ask away, that is what the ParrotForums is all about.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Thank you for this reply, and sure if more knowledgable people come I'll take their advice too. The wing is ok, hopefully, it won't hinder its flight in the future.
I think that, by the time you have made friends with your bird, the wing injury will be forgotten.

Be patient and see how close you can get the the bird and cage before he is frightened. I hope that soon you will be able to offer him treats through the bards and teach him that you bring him good things.

OP
E

Ezra_Gecko

Jan 7, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiel
Welcome and be welcomed. With vet care, the best would be a Certified Avian Vet (CAV), next would be a vet that sees 'exotic' animals, including parrots, and lastly a general care vet ( a dog and cat type ). Parrots and birds in general are very different in their medical care needs, with vets taking extra courses and getting accreditation with Avian societies around the world, should they want to specialize. None mean to provide bad care, but birds have so many different needs its understandable that you want to go to one who has the qualifications for your parrot.

As zEREo and others have already said, take your time with taming etc, let the parrot settle down in his new home for now. Try not to stress him out by unnecessary handling etc. Parrots are all about TRUST. You want to measure everything with him by that yardstick - does this build trust or does it break trust? Always consider that! Example - you may want to let him have open access to the house, flying free all day. But if you need to stress him out by chasing him around the house, maybe grabbing him or having to use a towel to put him back into his cage at night, well that is stressful, more stressful than staying in his cage all day (until he is settled in and you have started to tame him). Trust buster!
See how that works?

Also good advice on in leaving a treat for him whenver you pass by his cage. Not a lot, just a little bit of his favorite treat. He will start to associate humans with good things like a treat, that is what you want him to do!

Good luck and I hope you stay with us as you continue your journey thru life with your new feathered baby! Any questions? Ask away, that is what the ParrotForums is all about.
Hi! I read it all and thanks a lot for this! I do have one question in particular though. I have some experience with parrots as this is my fifth one (the first three escaped while the fourth lived out its life, I regret not doing much with them as I was a kid then) and I know they can get stuck behind shelves, bang into windows, etc. My apartment isn't built to hold any kind of cover due to it having its own iron sheets to block out the sun. My question is what do I do to prevent it from crashing into windows?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Some folks hang a bead curtain or a very light fabric one over windows. You can teach parrots what windows are by bringing them close to every one and letting them tap their beaks on it. Do it like once a week for awhile, they can learn that its actually something there. NOT 100% sure method though - panic flight can over ride training!

Sounds like your 3 that flew away did so thru these windows? Even more important to give them a visual indication.

OP
E

Ezra_Gecko

Jan 7, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiel
Some folks hang a bead curtain or a very light fabric one over windows. You can teach parrots what windows are by bringing them close to every one and letting them tap their beaks on it. Do it like once a week for awhile, they can learn that its actually something there. NOT 100% sure method though - panic flight can over ride training!

Sounds like your 3 that flew away did so thru these windows? Even more important to give them a visual indication.
Thanks for the tip, and no actually one was smart enough to open the top lid of its bowl and escape that way whilst the other two actually escaped by a misfortunate timing of opening the bird cage while my friend was drying clothes on an open balcony. Will try your methods, once the bird actually gets comfortable with me.

OP
E

Ezra_Gecko

Jan 7, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiel
I also had a treasured parrot companion fly away, thru shear ignorance, many years ago. Hurts like hell to this day, he was such a good bird. I feel your pain.
Yeah, that sucks a lot. Oh, one last thing though. I'm not sure if my parrot ate or drank anything today and I was wondering if its ok to put bowls on the bottom surface in case he cant reach the intended feeding bowl (its attached on the cage and I have a feeling he cant really reach it)?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Yeah, that sucks a lot. Oh, one last thing though. I'm not sure if my parrot ate or drank anything today and I was wondering if its ok to put bowls on the bottom surface in case he cant reach the intended feeding bowl (its attached on the cage and I have a feeling he cant really reach it)?
Yes! You may have to empty and replace the water if it gets pooped.

I am looking at your cage photo. Can you put a perch near his food dish so he can reach the food better? The water is at least as important!

I have only lost one bird to escape and that was because a baby (3 yrs old) opened the cage to pet him and the bird flew out the window.

OP
E

Ezra_Gecko

Jan 7, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiel
Yes! You may have to empty and replace the water if it gets pooped.

I am looking at your cage photo. Can you put a perch near his food dish so he can reach the food better? The water is at least as important!

I have only lost one bird to escape and that was because a baby (3 yrs old) opened the cage to pet him and the bird flew out the window.
Aw, that sucks :(. I'll put it though I also gave it some food on the bottom just in case it can't reach it like its supposed to. Ty for the tips :)).

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Even a branch stuck through the cage bars underneath those food and water cups would help.

If your bird can’t get water to drink it will die of thirst. So providing water ALL THE TIME is also important. I sit near my bird’s cage or with my bird on my lap or shoulder while I read or work. They enjoy the time spent with another animals company even if you are not petting or holding the bird.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I'm so sorry for what happened to your sweet bird, and pray you can find an avian vet, or even just one who treats birds. If you'd like to PM me your region, I'd be happy to help you look for one.

I believe he should be on antibiotics to prevent an infection because it sounds like an open wound, and I'm hoping that there is a vet somewhere close enough for you to take him to.

Al's (wrench13) advice in this thread is spot on, and I agree completely.

Do you know when you'll be able to get a larger cage? His cage looks round, and that isn't good for birds - they like to have a corner. When you get the new cage I would suggest that it isn't round for that reason.

As far as getting him to trust you again, it's going to take time. Your acquaintance did something horribly traumatizing to him, and it will take patience and time to make him feel safe again. Is it possible to keep this person away for awhile? He will panic anytime he sees them, birds don't forget things like this.

Here is a thread with a lot of great info:

Tips for Bonding and Building Trust

I'm sending healing wishes toward your baby and hope his wing will be alright. I also think that you will be able to start fresh with him and build a new bond.
I hope you keep us updated, and I'm really glad you came here to ask questions-that shows how much you care about him.
Have you named him yet?

OP
E

Ezra_Gecko

Jan 7, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiel
Even a branch stuck through the cage bars underneath those food and water cups would help.

If your bird can’t get water to drink it will die of thirst. So providing water ALL THE TIME is also important. I sit near my bird’s cage or with my bird on my lap or shoulder while I read or work. They enjoy the time spent with another animals company even if you are not petting or holding the bird.
Yeah, I understand that, and trust me it's been having water every night I refill it 3 times a day with new fresher water just so he has it. The thing is he won't eat or drink (or does so when I'm away but eats very little) and I'm not sure what to do. Granted it's his first day but I hope it doesn't continue

OP
E

Ezra_Gecko

Jan 7, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiel
I'm so sorry for what happened to your sweet bird, and pray you can find an avian vet, or even just one who treats birds. If you'd like to PM me your region, I'd be happy to help you look for one.

I believe he should be on antibiotics to prevent an infection because it sounds like an open wound, and I'm hoping that there is a vet somewhere close enough for you to take him to.

Al's (wrench13) advice in this thread is spot on, and I agree completely.

Do you know when you'll be able to get a larger cage? His cage looks round, and that isn't good for birds - they like to have a corner. When you get the new cage I would suggest that it isn't round for that reason.

As far as getting him to trust you again, it's going to take time. Your acquaintance did something horribly traumatizing to him, and it will take patience and time to make him feel safe again. Is it possible to keep this person away for awhile? He will panic anytime he sees them, birds don't forget things like this.

Here is a thread with a lot of great info:

Tips for Bonding and Building Trust

I'm sending healing wishes toward your baby and hope his wing will be alright. I also think that you will be able to start fresh with him and build a new bond.
I hope you keep us updated, and I'm really glad you came here to ask questions-that shows how much you care about him.
Have you named him yet?
The wound pretty much closed off and it doesn't hinder his little flight in the cage, I'm quite scared to let him out even in my room. It doesn't have sharp objects or anything but the spacing between the shelves, the window, and little crawlspaces. The acquaintance, unfortunately, cannot be kept away for good but he can be minimal, the bird spends most of its time in my room where I play songs on the radio as well as some calming music and fellow Cockatiel noises.
And about the cage, this is as good as it gets here, unfortunately. Besides, I spent way too much money on this cage and the bird itself. This is the same type of cage but was given to us by a friend. Same dimensions and everything, and the one we bought will be sold or switched out. Have you any recommendations for the cage? We have limited space where I can put the bird.
Also, its name is Chiro :))

Most Reactions

Latest posts