First time owner of a 40 year old Amazon!

BigGreenBirb

Apr 4, 2020
Rhode Island
Parrots
Alec, 40 year old Yellow Naped Amazon
:greenyellow:

Hi my name is Alicia, I’m a first time bird owner but have been a volunteer at an exotic bird rescue for about a year now. I originally wanted a macaw but have fallen in love with a big Yellow naped Amazon named Alec who was born in 1980. He was at the rescue for three years and NOBODY wanted him :( he was very aggressive with the volunteers, known to be a big biter. His original owner loved him dearly and took him absolutely everywhere with him, when he passed away his wife Couldn’t handle him and relinquished him to the rescue.l after bouncing around to a few family members. It was a slow building relationship for us but it turned into me being the only person in the rescue that could handle him with out being bitten. One day he ran up my shoulder and nuzzles my neck and we have been inseparable ever since! I took him home a couple months later and he’s been home with me for two weeks now! I have a few questions but I guess this is just an introduction! Chat with y’all soon

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Welcome! Congratulations on being the chosen one! Thanks for working in a rescue, and for taking in a rescue!

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
Welcome to you and Alec! Congratulations on him deciding that he is coming home with you :). My girl Bindi moved in under similar circumstances...she rode around in my shirt at the rescue for a year before I understood that she was moving in with me.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
YAY! so glad you rescued and so glad you volunteered first!!! I WISH MORE PEOPLE DID WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!!!!!!!

SERIOUSLY!!! :)

I am guessing that you know all about the dangers of Teflon/PTFE/PFOA/PFCs etc and household cleaners/fumes (including candles)

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed. Check out the Amazo sub forum, specially the stickiesatthe top, Amazon Body language, and I love Amazons. Tons of essential Amazon info.

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Welcome to you and Alec! WOW this is fantastic!!! Thank you for volunteering, and for rescuing a deserving bird in need. I'm very much a second chance believer. They are so worth it! I was also lucky enough to be chosen by my YNA girl Baxter. She was in the refuge for over a year since she was very particular, and basically didn't like most people, save for a select few women with short hair. Sent one of the volunteers to the ER with a hole through her lip. No men at all. Period. I was visiting my Ekkie boy Tucker before adopting him, and she called to me. She just knew. I had no intention of having a second bird, but she was very persuasive, and after many visits, she came home with me 3 months later. I was in denial for a while, hoping that she would find a forever home with someone. She had long since decided that I was the someone. They are so much better at choosing us than we are at choosing them. From the first meeting, she was the sweetest, snuggliest, most loveable girl ever. The owner of the refuge was shocked. I think she was afraid I was going to lose a hand or something, but it was just instant love. It's been just over a year now, and we just celebrated her 18th hatch day.

Anyway, forgive my ramble. Congratulations on your new family member. We have lots of wonderful, experienced, knowledgeable folks here, always happy to help or answer any questions you may have, and also, we love pictures here if you want to share. Looking forward to hearing about your journey into the world of Amazons!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome Alicia and Alec, thanks for joining. Deep respect for volunteering and adopting a senior Amazon with troubled history. You are the perfect antidote to years of Alec's frustration.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Welcome. My hero!

You are our kinda folks!

9lhIlM0.jpg

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Welcome to The Wonderful World of Amazons!
So very happy that you have been chosen, it is a truly wonderful way to start your life with an Amazon!
Kindly remember to move at the rate of your Amazon, i.e. let the Amazon lead.

As noted above, Please read the Sticky at the Top of the Amazon sub-Forum regarding understanding Amazon Body Language, it is so important as they expect you to know what they are telling you.

Looking forward to hearing about both of your journeys.

OP
B

BigGreenBirb

Apr 4, 2020
Rhode Island
Parrots
Alec, 40 year old Yellow Naped Amazon
I’m so glad I volunteered first too! I thought I was all ready to own a bird but I knew absolutely nothing! I continue to learn every day and every bird is different. I’m a huge advocate on bird owner responsibility now, super against breeding (please no one be mad at that) because the bottom line is these birds live too long and there are not enough dedicated people to take care of them.

I did read the thread on Amazon body language and the info and responses are what made me sign up, what a great community!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I agree on breeding
I'm only taking rescue for the rest of my life.
4 if my six are re-homed or rescue

Most Reactions

Latest posts