hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
I've done frozen smoothies and fresh food chops, but it never occurred to me to include cooked ingredients (pasta, beans etc) until this week, so I'm piloting a new recipe with the fids!

20211230_141301.jpg

I think I went a bit heavy on the pasta lol but it'll be a good test to see if they like pasta, and I can adjust the recipe next time :)

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
It looks very interesting! Let us know how your fids like it :)
Recipe?

OP
hiriki

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
Sure!

I started with a bean soup blend, soaked overnight, rinsed & drained several times, and then boiled for 10 minutes and simmered for 20. Then I added whole wheat rotini pasta and boiled sweet potato chunks. Then I added uncooked zucchini and carrot shreds, and some frozen veggie mix. I finished it off with some uncooked oats and a small jar of strawberry banana baby food, since I didn't add any fruit to the mix itself.

Preliminary results: my conure dug in! The others are pickier eaters but I'm hoping they'll follow her example eventually.

I think next time I'll do a better job of measuring ingredients, since I eyeballed pretty much everything and ended up with way too much pasta. I'll also probably add more dry ingredients... chia seeds maybe. And at least one fresh fruit. But I'm pretty happy with it overall so it was a good start!

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Sure!

I started with a bean soup blend, soaked overnight, rinsed & drained several times, and then boiled for 10 minutes and simmered for 20. Then I added whole wheat rotini pasta and boiled sweet potato chunks. Then I added uncooked zucchini and carrot shreds, and some frozen veggie mix. I finished it off with some uncooked oats and a small jar of strawberry banana baby food, since I didn't add any fruit to the mix itself.

Preliminary results: my conure dug in! The others are pickier eaters but I'm hoping they'll follow her example eventually.

I think next time I'll do a better job of measuring ingredients, since I eyeballed pretty much everything and ended up with way too much pasta. I'll also probably add more dry ingredients... chia seeds maybe. And at least one fresh fruit. But I'm pretty happy with it overall so it was a good start!
Thanks! It sounds amazing, I'll be sure to try it out!

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
interesting! Glad the conure likes it.

personally I don’t measure, really. It’s more that I don’t want to waste veggies so I just use all of it regardless of what the proportions come out like. Makes the chop different every time.

Most Reactions

Latest posts