First Vet Visit

mypinklove

Apr 20, 2016
Arizona
Parrots
Charlie - 13 yr old RB2
Good evening, birdie friends :)

Getting paid this Friday means money to take my new parrot to his first vet visit in early May. (Don't have exact date scheduled yet.)

I've done a bit of reading that the first vet visit will typically be the most costly with the blood work that should get done. However I don't want to overpay for extra services that are pushed on me if there's no real need.

If you guys could tell me what you pay for when you get a new bird, and maybe some questions I should ask, then I will take notes on your answers and bring them with me and Charlie in a week or two.

Thanks everybody. :) :grey:

Mae and the Pink Diva <3 :rolleyes:

Piasa

Jan 12, 2016
USA Nomad
Parrots
Beau 20 year old male Green Cheek || Jimmy Bullet 17 year old female white cap pionus parrot
If he shows no signs of anything amiss and you have no other birds that you are quarantining him away from, I would get a fecal gram stain and CBC. You can also ask the vet as part of the physical exam to listen to his lungs with stethoscope.

Since he is not a baby, you might also want to get liver test. They can probably do both CBC and liver with a single blood draw.

OP
mypinklove

mypinklove

Apr 20, 2016
Arizona
Parrots
Charlie - 13 yr old RB2
If he shows no signs of anything amiss and you have no other birds that you are quarantining him away from, I would get a fecal gram stain and CBC. You can also ask the vet as part of the physical exam to listen to his lungs with stethoscope.

Since he is not a baby, you might also want to get liver test. They can probably do both CBC and liver with a single blood draw.

Thanks! Will do.
I'd like to not spend more than $300. It's a reputable animal hospital with a reputable avian vet. I'll call later today but until then how much would you estimate all that (and checkup) costing?

Piasa

Jan 12, 2016
USA Nomad
Parrots
Beau 20 year old male Green Cheek || Jimmy Bullet 17 year old female white cap pionus parrot
CBC with liver biles last cost me $138, I think gram stain is around $60. There may also be an general exam fee, or this may be part of the test fee.

OOwl

Oct 12, 2010
Texas
Parrots
Rosebreasted Cockatoo, Congo Grey, MRH Amazon, Lovebird
Something you could do to reduce costs is collect blood (toenail) and swabs yourself submit to Avian Biotech requesting the new bird combo, which tests for most of the most serious diseases parrots can carry. It's less than $100 done yourself like that (and a LOT more done at the vet). I have done this and then take the results to my vet, who has never once minded me doing this on a new bird. She still ran a basic profile for a baseline, which is about $100 and done in house there at her clinic. Along with the office visit and a gram stain, I usually get out of there on a new bird exam (IF they don't need any medication) for around $200. So that would fit into your budget, IF everything is okay. For me, it's so worth it. I'd rather have peace of mind than any luxury item for myself. Good luck at your vet appointment.

Most Reactions

Latest posts