Fish oil

Kattie

Oct 29, 2020
Hi,

I have seen vets give love birds omega-3 but I can't find out what brand they use and where to buy it. Maybe they use the one for humans?
Does anyone have suggestions ?

Thanks,

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
Hello,

a very good question. Lately I have been looking into adding fish oils in to the feed for some of my birds. There are some very good reasons to feed them, but also some very good reasons to avoid them entirely. These days mercury levels in fish are very high, as are radiation levels for any Pacific Ocean fish. You might look into plant sources for omegas. Will your bird eat fresh foods? There is a "weed" that grows just about everywhere by the name of purslane that you might want to look into. It is a succulent drought resistent, tough to kill plant that tastes lemony and peppery and wonderful and it is a good source of omega-3. Great to add in to chop or salads for yourself even, and without the worries of fish based omegas. It will grow outside, inside, in the sidewalk, wherever! Just make sure if you collect it it is from a safe place to do so without sprays or traffic runoff. If you put it in your own garden be aware it may try to take over lol. I have good luck growing it indoors under artificial light. :)

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Bug knows more than I do on this, she has good experience.

Hello and welcome to the forum.
How old is your love bird? How long have you had her? What's her diet now? What makes you want to add fish oil?

We love to hear more about your baby

Noahs_Birds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 24, 2019
Toowoomba/Highfields, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Yellow Sided GCC's, Rosa Bourkes Parrots, Full Red Fronted Turqoisine Parrots, Quaker Parrots 'Scomo PM' 'Jenny PM's wife', PLUS: Rare Finches, Doves and Quail
OP
K

Kattie

Oct 29, 2020
Hi everyone. Thank you for all your replies and suggestions. I have 4 love birds. One of them started nesting and laid eggs so I wanted to prepare and provide them with omega-3 for strong babies. Some hand feeding formulas also have omega-3 and alot of websites recommended it.

I have been feeding them chia seeds which apparently has omega-3 .. so hopefully that is good enough for now.
Speaking of chicks, are there any other foods you recommend that I should give them so they grow strong? :orange:

Noahs_Birds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 24, 2019
Parrots
Yellow Sided GCC's, Rosa Bourkes Parrots, Full Red Fronted Turqoisine Parrots, Quaker Parrots 'Scomo PM' 'Jenny PM's wife', PLUS: Rare Finches, Doves and Quail
A commercial Egg and Biscuit mix, Cuttlebone, shell grit, small parrot breeder pellets plus fruit and veggies like corn and carrot are extremely good for growing chicks

dhraiden

Jul 14, 2015
Queens NY
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Mochi)
Gold Capped Conure (Mango)
There is a "weed" that grows just about everywhere by the name of purslane that you might want to look into. It is a succulent drought resistent, tough to kill plant that tastes lemony and peppery and wonderful and it is a good source of omega-3. Great to add in to chop or salads for yourself even, and without the worries of fish based omegas. It will grow outside, inside, in the sidewalk, wherever! Just make sure if you collect it it is from a safe place to do so without sprays or traffic runoff.

Now I wish I hadn't so thoroughly weeded it out from my yardspace! It really does grow everywhere - even the tiny cracks between pavers. More will come back, I'm sure, naturally in the course of the return of warmer weather. This is what it looks like for those curious:

purslane-1.jpg

OP
K

Kattie

Oct 29, 2020
Wow I don't think I have that kind of weed around where I live. Need to look around more carefully

OP
K

Kattie

Oct 29, 2020
A commercial Egg and Biscuit mix, Cuttlebone, shell grit, small parrot breeder pellets plus fruit and veggies like corn and carrot are extremely good for growing chicks

Hi, thank you! I am wondering if you could recommend the brand for te egg and biscuit mix? Is that like egg food?
Also what does shell grit do? I have neve used that before.

Noahs_Birds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 24, 2019
Parrots

Hi, thank you! I am wondering if you could recommend the brand for te egg and biscuit mix? Is that like egg food?
Also what does shell grit do? I have neve used that before.

This is the brand of Egg and Biscuit mix I use: https://www.google.com/search?q=egg...ECAYQBA&biw=1880&bih=939#imgrc=oOXkt0CbiGGNqM but there are others from other brands like Passwell that can be used. Its basically just a dry powdery mix and is very high in protein.
Shell grit is a calcium supplement

Most Reactions

Latest posts