Fish? please help!!!

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
Guys I just got a fish it's a long story what happened we went to an indoor zoo when we went out you get free fish so I got 2 fish I don't know anything about fish so please help and can you identify the species of the fish
Is a filter mandatory? and how much can they stay without a filter? (I'm gonna order one)
they're not eating their food should I take out the food so I can prevent ammonia cause I don't have a filter now? and I heard that uneaten can turn into ammonia how long does it take to turn into ammonia?
and can you tell me some fish YouTube channels and sites and just anything useful in advance thanks

OP
MayMaroa

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
Please help

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
Maybe it would be easier if you'd asked about it on some kind of fish forum... I know nothing about fish so I can't help you, just suggesting because I'm sure somewhere has to be a similar forum but with fish experts

I'm thinking who has fish here... maybe @Stormypica could help?

Once time I also asked a fish-related question on a parrot forum but never got the answer :p

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I just found this video, it's for goldfish, I'm not sure if you own goldfish or not but most of the free fish sold are goldfish

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I assume their goldfish? You need a filter absolutely, a cheap sponge filter works fine, you don't have to get anything fancy. You also need a heater, set it to somewhere between 68F-72F. Probably somewhere in between is best.
If you can also get an air filter, there's cheap ones.
I assume you probably only have tap water? Get water conditioner, it eliminates any chlorine.
Can you post a pic of the fish? Don't feed them yet, wait a few days, especially if they are refusing food, they could be poisoned from ammonia.
You should also ask FishLore, a forum I'm apart of. Very helpful place.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
I know there was an attempt to tag me, but I think everyone else here has covered the bases pretty well! Sorey for not responding sooner, I’ve been having some serious technical difficulties.

OP
MayMaroa

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
I assume their goldfish? You need a filter absolutely, a cheap sponge filter works fine, you don't have to get anything fancy. You also need a heater, set it to somewhere between 68F-72F. Probably somewhere in between is best.
If you can also get an air filter, there's cheap ones.
I assume you probably only have tap water? Get water conditioner, it eliminates any chlorine.
Can you post a pic of the fish? Don't feed them yet, wait a few days, especially if they are refusing food, they could be poisoned by ammonia.
You should also ask FishLore, a forum I'm apart of. Very helpful place.
They're not goldfish i joined a fish forum and they said they are platies.
Ya I already ordered a filter, i ordered this one i also heard in the fish forum pipe arent that good so they told me to order something like this so i ordered it https://shopee.com.my/Mini-Hang-On-...6d&xptdk=af3680d8-fce5-4842-9fcf-5c3846bab86d

Nope I don't im using a mineral water i also heard that changes in water is bad for fish so we are gonna use the same brand forever because its also the brand we also take ( and yaa i was born in family that doesnt drink tap water only mineral)
pic:
1.png

Don't feed them yet, wait a few days, especially if they are refusing food, they could be poisoned by ammonia. ok

il join it!

OP
MayMaroa

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
OP
MayMaroa

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
Here's the fish
WhatsApp Image 2022-09-09 at 8.46.04 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-09-09 at 8.45.59 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-09 at 8.45.55 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-09 at 8.45.51 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-09 at 8.45.47 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-09 at 8.45.43 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-09 at 8.45.36 PM.jpeg

OP
MayMaroa

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
Iv had had fish in the past but it wasn't a very successful experience
I asked my mom to buy a bigger aquarium cause their aquarium is super small here is the size
- 1.3 liters : 18cmL x 11cmW x 9.5cmH
But she said no even though I had the money I was gonna pay, but I thought all night I hardly got any sleep and came up with an idea here it is:
I would go to my friend's house (ohhhhh I forget to tell you so we got 4 fish, in each aquarium, there is two fish so 2 for us and 2 for them anyway back to the idea)
and I will show her the aquarium I want to order so she orders 2 of the exact same one I will give her the money to buy my aquarium and then when the aquarium arrives they will come to our house bringing the aquarium they will say to my mom that they Accidentally bought 2 aquariums and so they didn't want to put their fish alone and they decided to give it to us.

And the Accessories for the aquarium il make myself I remember when we went to the beach my mom collected a lot of rocks and seashells so il wash the rocks with their aquarium water and put them inside so iv got a lot of designs in my head but making sure there is no chemicals used in the process and iv got it!

bonitabird59

Apr 12, 2022
Those are platys. They need a minimum of 10 gallons per fish, with a filter. I like marine land and fluval. Water needs to be treated with API quick start, stresscoat or stress zyme, and API bacteria balls. Or a bio cleaner. For water conditioner I like Prime as its concentrated and very good. Platys create a lot of ammonia so do 25% water changes every week or use ammo-lock. Never do a full water change! Also these are tropical community fish so it's recommended u own 3+.

bonitabird59

Apr 12, 2022
Those are platys. They need a minimum of 10 gallons per fish, with a filter. I like marine land and fluval. Water needs to be treated with API quick start, stresscoat or stress zyme, and API bacteria balls. Or a bio cleaner. For water conditioner I like Prime as its concentrated and very good. Platys create a lot of ammonia so do 25% water changes every week or use ammo-lock. Never do a full water change! Also these are tropical community fish so it's recommended u own 3+.
Also water needs to be heated between 73-77 degrees F because they are tropical fish. Live plants also help cycle out icky stuff so Id recommend some amazon swords or rosette swords.

bonitabird59

Apr 12, 2022
Guys I just got a fish it's a long story what happened we went to an indoor zoo when we went out you get free fish so I got 2 fish I don't know anything about fish so please help and can you identify the species of the fish
Is a filter mandatory? and how much can they stay without a filter? (I'm gonna order one)
they're not eating their food should I take out the food so I can prevent ammonia cause I don't have a filter now? and I heard that uneaten can turn into ammonia how long does it take to turn into ammonia?
and can you tell me some fish YouTube channels and sites and just anything useful in advance thanks
king of DIY on youtube is a great fish keeper btw he rocks!

OP
MayMaroa

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
Those are platys. They need a minimum of 10 gallons per fish, with a filter.
Ok. ordered one.
API quick start, stresscoat or stress zyme, and API bacteria balls.
is it necessary to do all those stuff?
Never do a full water change! Also these are tropical community fish so it's recommended u own 3+.
Ok.
Also water needs to be heated between 73-77 degrees F because they are tropical fish. Live plants also help cycle out icky stuff so Id recommend some amazon swords or rosette swords.
does there have to be a heater?
king of DIY on youtube is a great fish keeper btw he rocks!
ok!

OP
MayMaroa

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
There's a red string coming out of the gold platy.

OP
MayMaroa

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
So, guys, I saw a video treating parasites oh, and by the way I read the symptoms of worms in fish and she has all.

So they say onion kills parasites then I searched on google and it said

Garlic (Allium sativum) has been shown to possess antimicrobial properties against a range of disease-causing agents, including fish parasites.29 Nov 2018

Many people use garlic to kill parasites in their fish tanks, and even report a significant decrease in the frequency of any health problems in animals, when they use it in the fish's diet over a long period. Some studies have even shown that allicin can actively kill some fungi, bacteria and even viruses.5 Jun 2020

OP
MayMaroa

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
Iv never hated a living thing this much (not the fish the worms).

bonitabird59

Apr 12, 2022
Ok. ordered one.

is it necessary to do all those stuff?

Ok.

does there have to be a heater?

ok!
Yes, all the water treatment chemicals are necessary. Its what makes the water safe for the fish.

Yes, a heater is necessary as they are tropical fish. Since you have 2, a 20 gallon breeder tank would be a good minimum. Id recommend 30 gal though

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Honestly, you could keep 2 platies in a 10gal in your situation, as anything over that may be too expensive for your current budget (and remember you need water conditioner as well as beneficial bacteria, a filter, and a heater). The saying I frequently hear on fish forums is β€œget the biggest tank possible, with the best filtration possible, but if you can’t afford the recommended size tank that’s ok, just get the minimum size” (which would be a 10gal in this case)

Most Reactions

Latest posts