Flaco the owl, life on the lamb

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
I just read about him recently! It’s amazing that after a life in captivity Flaco is able to hunt and survive on his own. I honestly don’t really want them to catch him; he seems to be loving the free life 🙂.

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Wooow that is such a heart warming story. The wise old owl proved to everyone that he is no slouch, not even NYC can stop him. Plenty of small rodents in the city for a top notch predator like him.

They say its bad luck to see an owl, especially in the day. Iv never seen one in the wild only a tawny frog mouth which are often mistaken for owls.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
What an amazing story! It tugs at my heart strings at how happy Flaco seems to be, how wonderful that he is hunting and doing okay.

I don't know what kind of owl it was, but we had a smaller one that lived on our mostly enclosed back deck a couple of years ago. He spent the day on it and would go off and hunt at night I figure. There was a neighbour's cat who was always on our deck until the owl started staying there, then he noped right off of it...lol

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
What an amazing story! It tugs at my heart strings at how happy Flaco seems to be, how wonderful that he is hunting and doing okay.

I don't know what kind of owl it was, but we had a smaller one that lived on our mostly enclosed back deck a couple of years ago. He spent the day on it and would go off and hunt at night I figure. There was a neighbour's cat who was always on our deck until the owl started staying there, then he noped right off of it...lol
I think it's a horned owl, native to the Americas, recognisable by its ear like tuff feathers, makes a classic owl hoot sound

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I think it's a horned owl, native to the Americas, recognisable by its ear like tuff feathers, makes a classic owl hoot sound
Thank you for that! I was thinking about our deck owl and how much I'd love to have a Flaco out there!

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
They said that rat poison may have disoriented the poor owl. But don't be sad at Falcos death for too long. Remember that they gave him no chance of survival in the wild yet he survived for over a year in the wildest of human wilds, NYC. His still an inspiration

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
I'm sad to say that Flaco the owl has died. It was actually a Eurasian eagle owl. It inspired and captivated many people who followed the story

They said that rat poison may have disoriented the poor owl. But don't be sad at Falcos death for too long. Remember that they gave him no chance of survival in the wild yet he survived for over a year in the wildest of human wilds, NYC. His still an inspiration

My heart hurts, but I agree - he was and is an inspiration. He lived his last year of life free, despite the obstacles facing him. His memory is a blessing.

Most Reactions