Flight Club Fly Days in Tacoma!

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
I didnā€™t get many photos, but we took the kids and Kirby to Flight Club Foundationā€™s Fly Day! Itā€™s fully indoors (in a gymnasium) and parrots are welcome to sit, socialize, or fly!

Our oldest made best friends with Sunny, a male eclectus, although I think her favorites were Debbieā€™s green wing and blue and gold macaws, Ollie andā€¦well, I forgot the blueā€™s name, oops.

Kirby met a DYH who was so calm! Kirby on the other hand was dancing back and forth across his perch, whistling and chatting. He doesnā€™t fly and didnā€™t seem interested, but he did get to meet lots of new people and birds.

Birds who show up are required to have bloodwork done and vet records prior to coming, so itā€™s a nice and fairly safe way to let him get out of the house and meet other parrots.

262D85FB-344D-495C-B554-7CD0ECF88225.jpeg

702D60A6-3958-4B9C-8728-4928E9D7D6D6.jpeg

This is me in my patent-pending ā€œbirds can poop on thisā€ sweatshirt, lol!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I didnā€™t get many photos, but we took the kids and Kirby to Flight Club Foundationā€™s Fly Day! Itā€™s fully indoors (in a gymnasium) and parrots are welcome to sit, socialize, or fly!

Our oldest made best friends with Sunny, a male eclectus, although I think her favorites were Debbieā€™s green wing and blue and gold macaws, Ollie andā€¦well, I forgot the blueā€™s name, oops.

Kirby met a DYH who was so calm! Kirby on the other hand was dancing back and forth across his perch, whistling and chatting. He doesnā€™t fly and didnā€™t seem interested, but he did get to meet lots of new people and birds.

Birds who show up are required to have bloodwork done and vet records prior to coming, so itā€™s a nice and fairly safe way to let him get out of the house and meet other parrots.

View attachment 48676
View attachment 48677

This is me in my patent-pending ā€œbirds can poop on thisā€ sweatshirt, lol!
Wow! A meet-and-greet just for parrots! What will they think of next!

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
Wow! A meet-and-greet just for parrots! What will they think of next!
Itā€™s really fun. I came last time without a bird as they require you visit at least once before bringing a bird, and we got to say hi and handle the friendly parrots. Mali loves holding the big guys.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I like the idea butā€¦..
I think I would end up with a bird perched up high and out of reach.
I would be overjoyed to visit.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I like the idea butā€¦..
It is important to own a super squirter and a very long handed fish net. Years of practice with Bird Fairs. Seems like someones parrot would get out and find the highest place to sit and people watch.

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
I like the idea butā€¦..
Yeah, the only person whose birds were really flying was Debbie, and hers are trained to recall really well. She even has them trained to recall to strangers etc. (those were the birds sitting on me, haha)

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
Sheā€™s been doing them for years, so I assume she has some kind of trick for convincing reluctant birdies out of the rafters. I think it helps that the indoor space doesnā€™t have air currents and lift like the outdoors, so inexperienced fliers would have a more difficult time getting higher.

However, Iā€™m also certain the facility has several really tall laddersā€¦

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Yeah, the only person whose birds were really flying was Debbie, and hers are trained to recall really well. She even has them trained to recall to strangers etc. (those were the birds sitting on me, haha)

By the way love your sweatshirt as it is a very important part of having Parrot /Parrots on oneself!!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
It is important to own a super squirter and a very long handed fish net. Years of practice with Bird Fairs. Seems like someones parrot would get out and find the highest place to sit and people watch.
When one of my Budgies flew out the door a few years ago we saw her perched on a branch about 25 feet high. We took a pressurized water tank and shot he out of the tree with the water. She got soaked and fluttered to the ground. She couldnt fly because she was so wet so she took off running into the woods. I ran after her, stumbling over fallen logs and forest floor brush wearing shorts, getting lots of cuts and bruises in the process. I finally grabbed her and she bit the web of skin between my thumb and forefinger so hard I had to pry her beak open to get her to let go as I stuffed her back in her cage. It want a good experience for anyone! So bring a water tank when. Your birds decides their favorite new perch is way too high for human comfort, or give their wings a light trim so they can't get that much lift. I'm not talking about a disabling mutilation of their beautiful wings- just a trim. Either that or never give your flying friend the opportunity to fly too high.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
We have a vaulted ceiling and a duster on a long pole.
Normally all I have to do is move it a little and the birds know they have to go back.
In the beginning I got a lot of exercise chasing them around, mostly they know itā€™s just a matter of time and bow to the inevitable.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
When one of my Budgies flew out the door a few years ago we saw her perched on a branch about 25 feet high. We took a pressurized water tank and shot he out of the tree with the water. She got soaked and fluttered to the ground. She couldnt fly because she was so wet so she took off running into the woods. I ran after her, stumbling over fallen logs and forest floor brush wearing shorts, getting lots of cuts and bruises in the process. I finally grabbed her and she bit the web of skin between my thumb and forefinger so hard I had to pry her beak open to get her to let go as I stuffed her back in her cage. It want a good experience for anyone! So bring a water tank when. Your birds decides their favorite new perch is way too high for human comfort, or give their wings a light trim so they can't get that much lift. I'm not talking about a disabling mutilation of their beautiful wings- just a trim. Either that or never give your flying friend the opportunity to fly too high.
Stormy got out once. The booger flew into the nearest tree and sang his little heart out. All my birds are recall trained, especially descent trained, and he seemed like he was about to come down, but a larger bird scared him and he flew away. Thankfully, after about 4 days of travelling, he flew down to some people at a trailer park in my area. He went to a foster home, and when I went to get him, he lit up. He sang the whole way home. I'm glad I didn't loose him, and I think the reason he was OK was because he was descent trained and desensitized to the outdoors to a good extent.

Moral of the story, recall train your birds (especially the cheeky boogers). And desensitize them. And teach them how to calm themselves down quickly.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Stormy got out once. The booger flew into the nearest tree and sang his little heart out. All my birds are recall trained, especially descent trained, and he seemed like he was about to come down, but a larger bird scared him and he flew away. Thankfully, after about 4 days of travelling, he flew down to some people at a trailer park in my area. He went to a foster home, and when I went to get him, he lit up. He sang the whole way home. I'm glad I didn't loose him, and I think the reason he was OK was because he was descent trained and desensitized to the outdoors to a good extent.

Moral of the story, recall train your birds (especially the cheeky boogers). And desensitize them. And teach them how to calm themselves down quickly.
My escapee budgie was not tame at all so recall training wasn't an option, and isn't an option for most untamed birds. What I didn't mention is that her "boyfriend" cagemate also flew away that day and we never saw him again. I walked around my property and the neighboring properties (I live in "the woods") for days hoping to spot him with no luck. He wasn't tame either. Their escapes, while accidental, was my fault for not being more careful while cleaning their cage and I was very upset and I Clcried for days.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Normally all I have to do is move it a little and the birds know they have to go back.
In the beginning I got a lot of exercise chasing them around, mostly they know itā€™s just a matter of time and bow to the inevitable.
I have done the same but with untamed budgies it's exhausting for all to chase them around until they come down because they're tired out.

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
IMG_0265.jpeg

Tuesday fly day! Not as many folks this time as it was during work hours, so a bit more of a relaxed vibe. The kids and I had an indoor picnic while Kirby chatted to himself and the other birds goofed around. We had a male and female ekkie, a calico macaw, a green wing macaw, a blue and gold macaw, a yellow nape Amazon, a sulfur crested too, and I think thatā€™s it? I feel like Iā€™m missing a bird here but Iā€™m not sure!

April 22 is the next fly day, and we are planning on bringing a floor mat with lots of toys and a floor/tabletop playstand to see if heā€™d be interested in playing and walking around. Itā€™s nice to have such a huge space to hang with him in.

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
Itā€™s fly day again tomorrow! Iā€™m packing up the car now with all sorts of extra goodies. Iā€™ll try to get more photos of other folksā€™ birds too this time!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Itā€™s fly day again tomorrow! Iā€™m packing up the car now with all sorts of extra goodies. Iā€™ll try to get more photos of other folksā€™ birds too this time!
This is such a wonderful thing to have- like an indoor dog park just for birds! How do they clean the gym afterwards? I imagine there must be bird poop all over the place. Are there bleachers to clean or are they stored away somewhere?

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
This is such a wonderful thing to have- like an indoor dog park just for birds! How do they clean the gym afterwards? I imagine there must be bird poop all over the place. Are there bleachers to clean or are they stored away somewhere?
Baby wipes, lol. There arenā€™t as many birds as youā€™re thinking - usually five to ten birds. Most of them donā€™t do a lot of flying, they just sit around and shout at each other. Itā€™s like a brunch date if everyone was screaming.

Most folks have floor or tabletop stands and put paper under them.

Niteldy

Oct 26, 2021
Media
Albums
Utah
Parrots
1 Alexandrine & 5 cockatiels
They are not bowing to the inevitable- They are laughing and conniving with each other to see you run and dance about trying to catch them- Its that game "your It" lol
I hope you know I am joking with you- I am sleep deprived right now- feeding every 2 and 3 hours- UGH and I saw this post and couldnt resist- I have bird mentality right now! ROTFL

Most Reactions

Latest posts