Flight Maneuvers

WhiteFlight

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 20, 2020
Dallas, Texas
Parrots
Meisha: Umbrella Cockatoo | Female | 03/09/1989 Hatch Date
Meisha has performed some amazing maneuvers over the years. Today she flew up to a door that was open about an inch with feet first thrusting the door open and continued with her objective, flying into the room.

She can perform vertical takeoffs in excess of six feet and stall like a hummingbird. I can get her to drift backwards, in the lift of a vertical takeoff.

Dealing with doors at floor level that are not latched, she'll use her beak to push or pull. She will also step into a door to propel it open, depending on the hinge direction.

Wish I had a camera on these candid activities.

Anyone else?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
There is no question that watching a flyer is a true joy to behold.

Our DYH Amazon transits between rooms and likes to fly at face level and sights in on an individual flying at them and then pulls a couple of deep wing cuts to pop over them! I swear that he grins just as he pops up.

Our Amazon does like things with opening a door from the floor.

Watch closely as they open and close the space between their body and their inner most wing feathers. They will open this space to dump the air pocket under them to quick loose elevation or to place another air pocket over the one below, for a vertical lift!

It is amazing just how much air they displace when flying compared to gliding by you.

OP
WhiteFlight

WhiteFlight

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 20, 2020
Dallas, Texas
Parrots
Meisha: Umbrella Cockatoo | Female | 03/09/1989 Hatch Date
  • "Sights in on an individual flying at them and then pulls a couple of deep wing cuts to pop over them," SailBoat.
Sounds kind of like waltzing biplanes.

• "Watch closely as they open and close the space between their body and their inner most wing feathers. They will open this space to dump the air pocket under them to quick loose elevation or to place another air pocket over the one below, for a vertical lift," SailBoat.
Interesting. I will be looking for that.

Reminds me of Meisha's French Door maneuver. With the doors closed to a narrowed opening, Meisha will fly in high, stand her wings up tall as she passes between the doors. She naturally drops altitude on the pass through and follows through with the pace on the exit.

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
No question about it! They clearly enjoy what they are doing and then seem very happy to let us enjoy the moment with them.

Great comparison with 'waltzing biplanes' just so much closer to the action.

Love the French Door pass through!

Now to be fair, our good friends with the smaller flighted monsters are witness to amazing aerobatics that they can pull-off a set of spins that our big guys need far more room to make happen.

Most Reactions