Flight Training

Cindylynn

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Apr 7, 2022
Media
Albums
Pancho's wings were clipped when we got him. But his flight feathers are coming in and I'm considering not clipping. I know there are pros and cons both ways. We are recall training right now to see if I can trust him to come to me. So far it's going great! And the look on his face in this still looks so happy to me!
Also, advice on recall training and handling a flighted bird would definitely be welcome! :)

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20221018-162415.jpg
    VideoCapture_20221018-162415.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Oh that is so beautiful!!!!

So far I've only worked with small birds, and I'm still new to all things parrot, but I've had a lot of fun making a big game out of it almost like hide n seek. I have them wait and then go into another room and say "Keiko (or whoever's name), come!" and have a treat ready. I also have had them go up high and come down really low to the ground, and move my hand while they're approaching to make it trickier.

I'm excited to see what others have to say; this is for me a super fun part of living with parrots that Cotton and I don't share so it's utterly fascinating to me :)

OP
C

Cindylynn

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Apr 7, 2022
Media
Albums
Oh that is so beautiful!!!!

So far I've only worked with small birds, and I'm still new to all things parrot, but I've had a lot of fun making a big game out of it almost like hide n seek. I have them wait and then go into another room and say "Keiko (or whoever's name), come!" and have a treat ready. I also have had them go up high and come down really low to the ground, and move my hand while they're approaching to make it trickier.

I'm excited to see what others have to say; this is for me a super fun part of living with parrots that Cotton and I don't share so it's utterly fascinating to me :)
He seems to love it! I hope I'm able to leave him flighted! Thank you for the advice! I will implement that as he gets more confident!

Most Reactions