flock mates after companion death

birdstheword

Aug 26, 2014
Colorado
Parrots
Marvel, 14-year-old Black Headed Caique
I have a 19 year old caique. I adopted a 16 year old caique 2 years ago and they got to be decent friends. Never preened each other much but could be out of the cage together and resolve fights without intervention and explore together. The 16 yr old died during exam at the vet a month ago. Since then my 19 yr old is flock calling constantly. I would like another caique but I don’t want a young one; as weird as it may sound I want their life stages and expectancies to coincide. I am babysitting a cockatiel for two weeks to see if that would curb her feeling alone when I’m at work and curb the flock calling but it hasn’t. Do you think any bird’s company would eventually help that feeling of not being around a flock? My intention isn’t to have them be friends like my last two were because of caiques nature, unless I happened upon an older caique. So far it doesn’t seem that she has registered the cockatiel as a bird, lol. L

What would you think if I adopted a bonded pair of [larger than cockatiel, like bigger conures] birds that aren’t keen on human attention, would being cage neighbors help her enough or do you think it was the friendship she developed with the other caique that helped her feel secure and not flock calling all the time? Alternatively do you think a caique would still try and attack a pair of birds rather than a singleton?

Just some thoughts, would appreciate yours.

Thanks!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
My sympathy to you on the loss of your caique, sudden death is so hard to take even for people, you survivor caique is probably at a total loss where his friend went to. I don't really have any advice, never had multiple parrots, nor any caique experience. The only thing I have read that pertains to this situation is that caique have a reputation for killing newly introduced parrots, if given the chance,

Most Reactions

Latest posts