Flying: Travel with Conure

Wraith

Sep 20, 2017
Canada
Parrots
Ro the Green Cheek Conure
I am planning on going home for Thanksgiving. I will be there for 3 days, flying to and from for 2 of them. The flight is only an hour. I was wondering if I should bring my Conure. She will have been with me for 2 weeks before this flight. I don't want to leave her at home as no-one will be there full time to interact with her. I'll have a sitter for my other birds but they will be fine with no-one around 24/7. But I'm torn about the stress of being somewhere new then leaving vs being left alone or boarded. I have travelled both by car and by plane with my other birds before and all were fine. Even with massive layovers that couldn't be helped. Normal travel stress but were over it quickly. Should I board her? I just worry. She will be a carry on and in the cabin not checked (awful for any animal). Normally I would wait longer till I traveled with the birds and only if I had to. But for this I do, its either fly or spend 3 nights at a hotel and flying is cheaper. Plus I wouldn't be able to bring the conure with me to a hotel. Advice on whether to bring her or not is very much appreciated! :gcc:

Last edited:

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
I'd probably leave them with the other birds. I'm sure 3 days without you won't hurt plus with the other birds and their familiar home they'll probably be less upset by the situation. Of course as well with air travel there's so many checks that need to be done in regards to taking them it'll be less stressful for yourself

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
I second leaving your new one with the other birds. It will be far more stressful to bring her not only on an airplane but to a new house and environment. Three days isn't very long, it's better than a week, and just be sure the sitter gives her some special one on one attention.

Some airlines don't allow pets, and some require special regulations. Would just be better, safer overall to keep all birds at home, IMO.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
A hard call as the flight length and duration of your absence is fairly short. Given the choices, boarding would be my last choice. Keep in mind fee-hungry airlines charge for pets in cabin, so inquire with your carrier and that might be the decisive factor.

OP
W

Wraith

Sep 20, 2017
Canada
Parrots
Ro the Green Cheek Conure
Thanks all! In Canada the fee is 50-60 dollars, you have to pre-register them and that is all. They just double check that you paid at the check in desk. Last time I flew with birds no one even looked at them. If I were to leave her at home with the others I would have to find a sitter who could take them at their home as my landlord is uncomfortable with me giving the key to someone or leaving a back door unlocked. Which would be just as stressful as travelling with me for my conure. I think travel is the best call here given the circumstances? Sorry I should have given more details in the original query.

Most Reactions

Latest posts