Flying

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
Yesterday I saw the movie, "Maleficent". It's about Fairies and other similar creatures. The reason I'm writing this is that the special effects/computer graphics for making her fly were terrific. Her wings are a combination of Bird & Bat wings. Whoever designed them, and her use of them, has certainly studied flight. They moved realistically and naturally. If interested, it is well done. Which also brings up another topic. When I was a child, I had many dreams of flying. I used to dream of flying high in the air. And would often imagine I was flying while running around with my arms outstretched. Though in my dreams, I did not use my arms. Could that be a manifestation of my early love for Birds? Have any of you guys had a similar experience?
The closest I have come to enacting my desire for flight is, I once flew in a Glider plane. After the tow plane released us, there was no motor, no sound except the air rushing around us. There were even Birds flying not very far away. It really was like flying! Well, almost...

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Always make sure that any flying is done with a glider or airplane. Imaginary wings won't hold much air. Or do it on dreams only. Where boo boos are also imaginary.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
My kids always ask me what superpower I’d want, and I’m always stuck between teleportation or flying!

Sure, teleporting would be convenient, but flying is just so cool!

I also watched that film, and I thought the wing design was really cool! I didn’t realize it was also pretty accurate though. That’s awesome. I have taken a lot of fantasy illustration mentorships as part of my professional development and have had to learn how to draw bat wings & bird wings for things like dragons and manticores. I also got to do some cute gryphons for a Scifi/Fantasy Literature convention! They’re really neat to design & illustrate.

Most Reactions

Latest posts