Foam Mattress Odor. Safe?

Caitnah

Mar 24, 2018
Upstate New York
Parrots
GCC Pineapple
I recently moved into a new home and like my last home, my Conure has his own bedroom. But here I needed this room as a spare bedroom for quests. I purchased a futon that has some layers of foam and also bulk foam.
I have had it for a few days and It has an odor (that is normal with foam) that is not too objectionable. I air out the room during the day but there is still a slight lingering odor.
I have always closed the door when it was bedtime for my Conure as it is only 7:00p.m. and want to keep things as quiet as possible for him but am afraid to do that with the new futon odor. Right now, I leave his door open a little for air to circulate but I cannot do anything nearby (one story house).
With the door completely closed Iā€™m afraid the odor would be too strong for him. Canā€™t open windows at night yet since temps still dip into 30ā€™s & 40ā€™s.
Do you think this odor could be toxic for him?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
My opinion only, yes this could be detrimental to your parrot. Thier system is so sensitive to airborn smells and particulates. Maybe just open the window a crack to get some fresh air in there. IT takes a long time for foam and other petroleum based products to out gas fully.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Sadly, I have zero knowledge about this product as all of our's have been traditional construction, i.e. they have a cover over the interior.

IMHO, I would leave the door wide open 24 /7 until the off-gassing vastly decreases. Sorry, but the house will just need to conform.

Most Reactions