Food bowls at night

thegars

Jul 21, 2018
Media
Florida
Parrots
4 1/2 years old now CAG..got her at 14 weeks...Debbie is still clown! Now almost 4 1/2....never a dull moment!
How many leave food bowls in cage 24 hrs a day? I have always left food bowls in my bird cages 24/7…. I’m not talking about soft or perishable food BUT pellets, seeds and water….
comments?

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
I leave pellets in my conures food bowls 24'7. She will eat them all, and I'll have to refill every 24 hours anyway. My ekkie I cannot leave pellets in his food bowls 24'7 as he likes to make a soup of it, and adds whatever he is fed to the soup he is making. I have to be more careful with him.

ScottinSoCal

Sep 7, 2019
Ventura County, CA, USA
Parrots
Had a Blue Front Amazon. Now have an African Grey (CAG)
Scooter has a small night cage, upstairs in the guest room closet. There's no food or water in there - I tried it when she first came here, but twice went up to find her miserable, sitting in the middle of a soggy mess because she'd tipped them over during the night.
Night routine is we go outside for a few minutes, she poops, grooms, whistles goodnight to the wild birds in the backyard, when she's ready to go upstairs she bumps her beak on my nose, and we go to her night cage. She sleeps from 6PM to 6AM.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Scooter has a small night cage, upstairs in the guest room closet. There's no food or water in there - I tried it when she first came here, but twice went up to find her miserable, sitting in the middle of a soggy mess because she'd tipped them over during the night.
Night routine is we go outside for a few minutes, she poops, grooms, whistles goodnight to the wild birds in the backyard, when she's ready to go upstairs she bumps her beak on my nose, and we go to her night cage. She sleeps from 6PM to 6AM.

That is the sweetest bedtime routine I can think of! :love:
:love:

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
They should NEVER, EVER go without food for any period of time. The only time your bird(s) should be hungry is right after waking up.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
24/7
even when I know they won’t eat it, like a trip to the vet.

CraigH

Mar 31, 2022
Mine has both pellets and water on his tree in the bedroom.

Attachments

• 5C94C72B-FD1E-4AA9-A97A-8FC735654D6A.jpeg
    5C94C72B-FD1E-4AA9-A97A-8FC735654D6A.jpeg
    229.3 KB · Views: 71

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Perjo - Female CAG hatch Nov 2015
How many leave food bowls in cage 24 hrs a day? I have always left food bowls in my bird cages 24/7…. I’m not talking about soft or perishable food BUT pellets, seeds and water….
comments?
I leave pellets and water out 24/7

Most Reactions

Latest posts