Food Dehydrators

GinaF

Aug 13, 2013
Utah
Parrots
B&G macaw
Does anyone here dry their own fruits and veggies to give their birds? I was thinking about getting on but don't know which brand is worth the money and/or how long it takes to dry most stuff. Any info would be appreciated

MsPony

Aug 14, 2013
I was just having this discussion! I used to do a whole foods diet for my older.gelding with digestion issues, and dehydrated everything. Then my pre-vet girlfriend reminded me:

Once you remove the water, you remove most of the water available vitamins. Leaving some, but mainly fat vitamins.

But besides fresh, it's a good way to fill tummies and do treats!

MsPony

Aug 14, 2013
Soluble is the word I was looking for. Water soluble vs fat soluble vitamins.

Eta: I got a dehydrator from Bass Pro for $75 at Xmas time, it has 7 trays... As far as time goes, it depends on the food. Kale chips I do in my oven for 90 minutes. Oven vs dehydrator: for water/sugary items you need the fan, for items like kale, that can be done in the oven at a low setting.

Last edited:
OP
GinaF

GinaF

Aug 13, 2013
Utah
Parrots
B&G macaw
I was looking mostly at doing dehydrated fruits. My kids LOVE dried fruit as a snack and it seems like as soon as a bag of dried kiwi walks in the door it's empty. Beef jerky is pretty high on my list too. That stuff is *so* expensive in the stores and loaded with preservatives. I've eaten so many preservatives over the last 40 years that I should live forever now. It's time to cut out the chemicals and eat healthier.

On the upside, dried fruit makes for a great foraging treat and you don't have to worry about it spoiling if left in the cage too long. I always worry that I left her fresh stuff in the cage too long. As far as water vs fat soluable, what if you reconstitute it? That pretty much defines what we do with oatmeal.

I was looking at the Excalibur Deluxe 9 tray. Is 9 going to be too much? How much can your 7 tray handle? Do you use all the space?

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Tell me about the kale. I dry lots of different things and make tons of jerky, fish jerky !! I dry herbs, fruit,berries, you name it. But tell me about Kale. How about broccoli greens,bok choy, collard greens??? We eat/grow greens of all types, can you dehydrate them?

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts