Food for warm weather?

Josiegirl

May 19, 2017
Sydney, Australia
Parrots
Josie - pineapple GCC and Hiccup - rose crowned conure
Hi everyone,
Iā€™m just wondering what treats or food you give to your parrots when the weather is warm? Josie likes fruits such as strawberries and of course chillies, but Iā€™m wondering if frozen foods are ok? Itā€™s autumn here so days are starting to cool but we have a week of high temps coming up.

Attachments

• 79FB0A49-EABD-49D3-9121-AC6A044D9F5F.jpg
    79FB0A49-EABD-49D3-9121-AC6A044D9F5F.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 107

LeoTheGalah

Apr 1, 2018
Australia
Parrots
Galah (Rose Breasted Cockatoo)
Keep up with fresh fruit and veg and a spray bottle with some cool water ;)

I give me RB2 carrot and brocolli all the time.

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16*

Nanday Conure -Finley- Hatched 10/07/17*

Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Paris- Hatched 03/03/18*

Black Capped Conure -North- Hatched 10/10/18
Jose is so cute! Awwww.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
Frozen fruits and vegetables and such are okay! I know some people give their fids little birdy popsicles

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
BE2 (Ivory), B&G Macaw (Max), Budgie Group,
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)
Hi everyone,
Iā€™m just wondering what treats or food you give to your parrots when the weather is warm? Josie likes fruits such as strawberries and of course chillies, but Iā€™m wondering if frozen foods are ok? Itā€™s autumn here so days are starting to cool but we have a week of high temps coming up.

Using just the flash frozen veggies you are fine, just avoid the processed ones with sauce and such (probably stupid to add and an obvious, but just in case)!

I always keep frozen veggies and some fruit on hand. Even in the midst of summer with plenty of fresh available, there are those times when you thought you had something left and you fed it :) With feeding frozen, just don't cook or steam them. You can either get them out and just let unthaw, or put them into a Ziploc baggie and drop into a cup of hot water, so they don't cook, just helps to get them unthawed quick.

With autumn don't forget the wonderful squash options available, they are wonderful for parrots. Spaghetti squash is often a favorite. Just cut in half (you can cook the seeds if you want to clean them up), but put each half face done in a roasting pan and cook until the squash comes comes apart with a fork, it comes of in long strands like spaghetti! Many parrots love that... and butternut squash is often well received too. And of course pumpkin! You can just cut that sucker open and leave them got at it making all the mess they like!

Most Reactions