Food in poop and supplements?

louise22

Jun 17, 2022
Parrots
parakeets
I have 2 parakeets. They are 4 and been in at least 2 homes before I got them. Last home they were fed mostly sunflower seeds and no veg. Now they get harrisons pellets a parakeet seed mix and carrots and kale most days (that is all the veg they will touch) only started to like kale recently so was mostly carrots they ate at first.

Should I add in Calcivet? Is it better to add to food or water? I'm worried that they will smell/taste it and not eat/drink.

Also this morning I noticed some food in poop. One has been to the vet recently for a respiratory infection and now on daily antibiotics and anti inflammatories for 2-4 weeks...think it was from him...should I add avipro supplement and how often should this be given? Been getting mixed reviews from people online.

The other bird sleeps just about all day...he is losing so many feathers each day...is it normal for them to sleep alot when molting?

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Welcome to the forums! Iโ€™m sorry to hear one of your little guys is fighting an infection. Iโ€™m certain the other parakeet owners will chime in here, but I think weโ€™ve had several cases here where when one โ€˜keet gets something, it spreads to the flock. Itโ€™s possible your other little guy is sleeping a lot because he was exposed to the bacteria the other one had.

It sounds like you might want to follow up with your vet. Iโ€™ve had really great luck with calling (or sending an email if itโ€™s an option at your vetโ€™s practice) to ask these kind of questions, especially about supplements. The only supplement my vet has ever recommended was Benebac Plus. Harrisons is an enriched feed, which means they already have vitamins and minerals added, so giving them that kind of supplement might be overkill.

Kale is very high in calcium also, so I would think you wouldnโ€™t need to give them more.

OP
L

louise22

Jun 17, 2022
Parrots
parakeets
Welcome to the forums! Iโ€™m sorry to hear one of your little guys is fighting an infection. Iโ€™m certain the other parakeet owners will chime in here, but I think weโ€™ve had several cases here where when one โ€˜keet gets something, it spreads to the flock. Itโ€™s possible your other little guy is sleeping a lot because he was exposed to the bacteria the other one had.

It sounds like you might want to follow up with your vet. Iโ€™ve had really great luck with calling (or sending an email if itโ€™s an option at your vetโ€™s practice) to ask these kind of questions, especially about supplements. The only supplement my vet has ever recommended was Benebac Plus. Harrisons is an enriched feed, which means they already have vitamins and minerals added, so giving them that kind of supplement might be overkill.

Kale is very high in calcium also, so I would think you wouldnโ€™t need to give them more.
Thank you. It is an upper respiratory infection he has so don't think that passes? It was the vet that recommended calcivet and avipro but reading online about them, I'm just not sure. I have had them nearly 8 months, they have always slept alot, usually from 12 - 4...now it's from 1pm - 7pm...thought maybe from molting, he is losing around 10 feathers every day. That's good to know pellets and kale are good. They are free flying 24/7 and I usually have their pellets in a bowl in the cage and the seed mix and veg out. They do go in for pellets but will maybe start putting them out and leaving with just that for a few hours each day. It's only been about a month that they have started to like kale (after months of me trying) so hopefully be getting enough from all of this then, Thanks

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Thank you. It is an upper respiratory infection he has so don't think that passes? It was the vet that recommended calcivet and avipro but reading online about them, I'm just not sure. I have had them nearly 8 months, they have always slept alot, usually from 12 - 4...now it's from 1pm - 7pm...thought maybe from molting, he is losing around 10 feathers every day. That's good to know pellets and kale are good. They are free flying 24/7 and I usually have their pellets in a bowl in the cage and the seed mix and veg out. They do go in for pellets but will maybe start putting them out and leaving with just that for a few hours each day. It's only been about a month that they have started to like kale (after months of me trying) so hopefully be getting enough from all of this then, Thanks
If the URI is caused by bacteria, it can be shed in feces or from the nares/saliva (ex: if they groom each other), and is absolutely something that can pass to other birds! Same with a virus really. I have a parrot who is particularly prone to them, to the point that I have to frequently disinfect his furniture so he doesnโ€™t reinfect himself!

Iโ€™m not sure what you mean by leaving them with just that - but I would caution you to never limit their access to pellets. Parrots are a grazing species and need access to a calorically dense feed at all times during the day, especially if they are free-flighted.

OP
L

louise22

Jun 17, 2022
Parrots
parakeets
Oh really. Vet never mentioned treating the other bird. The one getting treated now has had symptoms for months, the other isn't showing any signs of breathing problems etc just sleeps alot...have a phone appointment with the vet in a few days so will speak about wether he should have medication. I mean take their seed mix away for a few hours each day and only have pellets then after a few hours, give them both again...wouldn't leave them with nothing. They always have access to seed mix and pellets

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Oh really. Vet never mentioned treating the other bird. The one getting treated now has had symptoms for months, the other isn't showing any signs of breathing problems etc just sleeps alot...have a phone appointment with the vet in a few days so will speak about wether he should have medication. I mean take their seed mix away for a few hours each day and only have pellets then after a few hours, give them both again...wouldn't leave them with nothing. They always have access to seed mix and pellets
My flock of keets is battling an RI, and I can confidently say, if your birds have ever contacted each other or gotten near each other while they had the RI (or even slightly before), they both have it. One may show less severe symptoms, but you should still treat them so they don't progress.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Parakeets as in budgies? Or IRN?

This is a link to a common type of infection. If your bird has this then both birds have it and both would need to be treated. If it is chlamydia then doxycycline is needed fir 45 days to cure the infection, and sometimes a relapse will happen and you will have to treat again. Other antibiotics don't work with this infection, they may seem like they get a little better, then they get worse again. So if it was chlamydia yiu would need doxycycline fir 45 dsys I had a whole flock sick with this. But all are fine now. Here is a link with some info on this infection.
And you can research more.

I have no idea if this is what they have. But it is a common and chronic infection

OP
L

louise22

Jun 17, 2022
Parrots
parakeets
They are Barrabands. I held in a 3 day stool sample to be tested for this and came back negative so can definitely rule that out

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
They are Barrabands. I held in a 3 day stool sample to be tested for this and came back negative so can definitely rule that out
Thats great. Good job. But its not always easy to rule out by testing. Sometimes its treated for without positive results, if clinical symptoms fit and other treatments have failed.

But there are tons of other things that can make our birds sick. Keep working with your veterinarian. I hope they recover soon@

Beautiful species! Hope you share pictures

OP
L

louise22

Jun 17, 2022
Parrots
parakeets
Been treating for 10 days now and already improved so much. Before medication, he would make a squeak or snuffling sound nearly everytime he breathed, at night was mostly when he done it or sometimes when eating. Sat in their room at night for a little while and heard no noise the first 2 nights and yesterday, he made a loud breath/sqeak noise once every 10 minutes. So I'm hoping that means the meds are working

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I'm happy to hear. O hope everything gets better from here on out! It's so hard to have sick ones

Most Reactions

Latest posts