Food question

Antmf

Feb 14, 2011
I am feeding my IRP Roudybush pellets. Should I mix in the seed mix I have with it as well? I normally just give him the sunflower seeds in the mix as a treat when training. Please let me know.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
It seems like most folks on this site do add some seeds to their bird’s diet. My guys eat mostly pellets with some veggies, healthy people food, and seeds mixed in (mostly as treats during snuggle time, or bribes when I have a zoom meeting).

Birb321

Sep 14, 2022
BC, Canada
Parrots
I might rescue a conure or another small parrot
well i wouldnt recomend feed you bird seed as its diet because seeds can have alot of suger and should be only used for treats. you should feed you birds a pellet mix and some veggies. But you have a good pellet mix and you use the suflower seeds as a treat. Just wonderring if you feed him veggies.

OP
A

Antmf

Feb 14, 2011
well i wouldnt recomend feed you bird seed as its diet because seeds can have alot of suger and should be only used for treats. you should feed you birds a pellet mix and some veggies. But you have a good pellet mix and you use the suflower seeds as a treat. Just wonderring if you feed him veggies.
Yes but he seems to not be digging them right now. I even made chop but can’t get him to eat yet. Lol. I will try maybe some baby purée and take it from there maybe? I am even gonna buy a small food processor to make chop. For my bird and my wife and me lol.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
If he’s eating pellets as a base diet that gives him a good foundation. Veggies are the important side dish (vitamins!) Seeds are more of a treat or dessert. They have lots of carbs and are more ok for active birds.

For example, you put seed out for wild birds, because particularly in the winter they need energy. Wild birds aren’t concerned about getting fat, but keeping enough energy reserves to stay warm. Your pet bird isn’t flying around as much and doesn’t need quick energy.

OP
A

Antmf

Feb 14, 2011
If he’s eating pellets as a base diet that gives him a good foundation. Veggies are the important side dish (vitamins!) Seeds are more of a treat or dessert. They have lots of carbs and are more ok for active birds.

For example, you put seed out for wild birds, because particularly in the winter they need energy. Wild birds aren’t concerned about getting fat, but keeping enough energy reserves to stay warm. Your pet bird isn’t flying around as much and doesn’t need quick energy.
Yes Roudybush pellets as main diet sunflower seeds as a rest when I am bonding with him and I feed him fruits love white grapes and trying to feed veggies but still haven’t found one he likes. Gonna try corn next. I made a chop with broccoli cauliflower , romaine and arugula sing with yellow bell pepper a little strawberry and blueberry but he didn’t eat.

Birb321

Sep 14, 2022
BC, Canada
Parrots
I might rescue a conure or another small parrot
Yes but he seems to not be digging them right now. I even made chop but can’t get him to eat yet. Lol. I will try maybe some baby purée and take it from there maybe? I am even gonna buy a small food processor to make chop. For my bird and my wife and me lol.
im ot really going to go in full detail on how to get you bird to eat veggies so im going to put a video down

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Grapes are very sugary and best for a treat. Most birds like corn since it’s high carbohydrate. I’ve been reading that one should emphasize greens and bright colored vegetables for the most vitamins.

OP
A

Antmf

Feb 14, 2011
Grapes are very sugary and best for a treat. Most birds like corn since it’s high carbohydrate. I’ve been reading that one should emphasize greens and bright colored vegetables for the most vitamins.
Yeah that’s what I read too. So maybe if he likes corn I can mix that with greens to get him to try it.
im ot really going to go in full detail on how to get you bird to eat veggies so im going to put a video down
Thank you so much.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Do you have a vet for him yet? Both of the vets that have seen my African Ringneck are happy with his diet of a high quality seed mix, Roudybush, and veggies/fruit. Most of the sources I could find when I first was researching various ringneck species also seemed to indicate some seed in addition to pellets/fresh foods is dandy.

If your ringneck is already happy eating Roudybush, maybe stick with that for his main food out all the time, and then also feed him veggies in different ways. Chopped up with a few seeds sprinkled on. In slices to see if he prefers to hold them and eat bites. Bigger pieces stuck around his cage or in toys to see if he'll shred them and discover they're food.

Basically, keep what you know he'll eat available for regular eating but then offer all sorts of variety until he figures out what he likes. It might take a while and a lot of repetition and throwing food away but that's ok!

You'll start to notice things he'll try right away and things he won't :)

After months of a variety of food and chopped/not, raw/cooked I know my ringneck will try just about anything that is red, orange or purple and he will immediately fling FAR FAR AWAY anything that is green :) SO green foods get blitzed in the blender with red peppers and then mixed with some seed, and he'll try it.

And he's still learning what is food and what he likes - so I keep changing it up but give him things I know he'll eat too.

Don't worry, you'll get there! You're starting from a better place than if he only ate sunflower seeds and nuts, which is where my little man was in March/April, and now he's more adventurous, so keep trying :)

OP
A

Antmf

Feb 14, 2011
Do you have a vet for him yet? Both of the vets that have seen my African Ringneck are happy with his diet of a high quality seed mix, Roudybush, and veggies/fruit. Most of the sources I could find when I first was researching various ringneck species also seemed to indicate some seed in addition to pellets/fresh foods is dandy.

If your ringneck is already happy eating Roudybush, maybe stick with that for his main food out all the time, and then also feed him veggies in different ways. Chopped up with a few seeds sprinkled on. In slices to see if he prefers to hold them and eat bites. Bigger pieces stuck around his cage or in toys to see if he'll shred them and discover they're food.

Basically, keep what you know he'll eat available for regular eating but then offer all sorts of variety until he figures out what he likes. It might take a while and a lot of repetition and throwing food away but that's ok!

You'll start to notice things he'll try right away and things he won't :)

After months of a variety of food and chopped/not, raw/cooked I know my ringneck will try just about anything that is red, orange or purple and he will immediately fling FAR FAR AWAY anything that is green :) SO green foods get blitzed in the blender with red peppers and then mixed with some seed, and he'll try it.

And he's still learning what is food and what he likes - so I keep changing it up but give him things I know he'll eat too.

Don't worry, you'll get there! You're starting from a better place than if he only ate sunflower seeds and nuts, which is where my little man was in March/April, and now he's more adventurous, so keep trying :)
Thank you so much for your reply. I will keep you all posted as we progress.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I forgot to mention - I take the sunflower seeds out of my seed mix to use them for training and foraging :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts