Foods that shouldnt be frozen to extend shelf llife?

Takaaaa

Dec 23, 2013
Hawaii
Parrots
Two Lutino Lovebirds
Greetings,
So I recently witched from fresh veggies to frozen for my GC Conure, he didnt mind the change at all. I mostly keep frozen broccoli, beans, and peas.
I dont know about frozen fruit though, because I read that some fruits shouldnt be frozen.
My conure LOVES bananas, and grapes. But I read you shouldnt freeze grapes, unless your eating them frozen, but idk why.

So can I freeze grapes and thaw them in the fridge a couple days in advanced? same with bananas. or should I just stick to frozen fruits that they sell in the frozen section?

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
I have never heard that about grapes, perhaps it is because they turn mushy, like bananas do? I personally like to freeze grapes and drop them in the water bowls on occasion. Generally the bath dishes, not the regular water bowls, and watch my birds go nuts. I buy organic for grapes though because they are a bad one for absorbing chemicals. I would just suggest if you are freezing your fruits and veggies, just make sure you do it when they are fresh. What is less than fresh when it goes in will be less than fresh when it comes out. Also, I feel like I have read that beans are not safe for birds unless they have been either cooked or sprouted?

HeatherDesigns

Jun 21, 2014
Omaha, NE
Parrots
2 Lineolated Parakeets Amy and Rory (yes, they live in a blue cage), 1 Sun Conure Sunny, 1 Cockatiel Chucky
Grapes just get mushy when they thaw so it is more a human preference for non-mushy grapes that says they should be eaten while still frozen.

However, one of my houses had grape vines in the back yard and judging by how the birds pounced on the overly ripe ones on the ground I don't think birds share that prejudice.

Phlox

Jun 16, 2014
I freeze pretty much everything when its on sale/in season. They get a bit squishy, but my birds certainly aren't offended...and neither are the people when I make banana bread. Bananas sometimes go brownish too, but they taste fine. (for those who like banana...which I don't unless they are in bread!)

:D

I read frozen ripe veggies and fruits actually have more nutrition than ones left to get too close to getting bad, so buying pre-frozen berries when they aren't in season is actually better than fresh that traveled too far. And its great on the wallet when you want strawberries in December.

Sheldonsmom

Jun 14, 2014
When you freeze the fruits and veggies do you make into a salad or do you freeze each individually? I make my birds a salad to have everyday and then add a fresh fruit on top. Each week the veggies get change like this week it is kale, carrot shreds, broccoli and bell peppers. Could I freeze that and make it last a little longer? Thank you for the great ideas

Phlox

Jun 16, 2014
I freeze chop mix/bird salad and individuals sometimes. Either way seems to work fine, and definitely saves time.

Sheldonsmom

Jun 14, 2014
Thank you so much did not think it would make a difference but you never know! DO you use zip lock freezer bags or bowls. I use freezer bags for the rice and veggie cubes I make but it does not always keep them from freezer burn ice stuff

EnglishMuffin

Mar 1, 2014
Vancouver, Canada
Parrots
Sootie- Yellow-sided GCC
I read frozen ripe veggies and fruits actually have more nutrition than ones left to get too close to getting bad, so buying pre-frozen berries when they aren't in season is actually better than fresh that traveled too far. And its great on the wallet when you want strawberries in December.

Absolutely right! Fruit and veg starts to lose its nutritional value the second it is picked from the vine, but freezing them also freezes the loss of nutrients. Frozen fruits and veggies are normally blast frozen (chilled to freezing within a couple of seconds) within hours of being picked, so their nutritional content is usually much higher than fresh stuff you buy off the shelves!

MissMac

Dec 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
Females, Lutino Indian Ringneck Missy and Silver Lavender IRN Gracie.
Newbie here and even tho I've had matured parrots before (Corella) this is my first time hand raising an Indian Ringneck so I have soooooo much to learn. Missy is two months old and weaning.
I buy her frozen peas and corn as she loooooves peas, she has a seed mix (not too worried about it but will snack there) and boiled egg. I live alone and couldn't go thru a dozen eggs a week if I tried, so I freeze them separately into a cup cake pan and freeze. I worry she isn't having enough variety tho so suggestions that I can try her with that are freezeable are welcome. She loves nuts but I hear they are fatty so now give as a treat and fruit is limited because of the sugar.
I had made, when she first started weaning, sweet potato, pumpkin and regular potato mash, which she loved then, but isn't so fussed on it now.

Most Reactions