Foot band? budgie

Midnightstarian

Feb 24, 2018
Parrots
I have a budgie, he loves playing with bells and watching me on the computer while i'm drawing. Always making sure to stop in for cuddles every couple seconds he is adorable. His name is tinker.
So when i had got my budgie i didn't notice until i was in the car that someone had placed one of those foot bands on him and i'm sure that's normal as i see people doing it with baby birds. But i'm wondering as he grows if that's something i need to call the vet on and have them take of or replace?
The guy at the pet store didn't tell me or mention this.

My bird is 8/9 weeks old according to the pet store. :whiteblue:
I had my nephew there my mom and my dad and then i forced on going back to my apartment
I had been so distracted i didn't think about going back in and asking, figured if i needed to i can call the vet.

Last edited:

Rival_of_the_Rickeybird

2x Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jul 31, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
None. My wife has one too many. Kidding!
Almost all folks here recommend removing bands........ they can catch on stuff.........

And good for you, for checking. I think you have a great future as a parront!

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
no you wont have to change the band, now that the budgie is with you they're fully grown

Some people do remove the band out of choice but I personally prefer to keep them for easy identification. If you were to remove the band I would make sure to microchip the budgie before removing the band

FlyBirdiesFly

Jul 30, 2017
Media
I would think budgies are too small for micro chipping. None of my birds came with bands, but if they did, I would remove them. They can catch on toys and be a danger to birds.

OP
Midnightstarian

Midnightstarian

Feb 24, 2018
Parrots
I have a budgie, he loves playing with bells and watching me on the computer while i'm drawing. Always making sure to stop in for cuddles every couple seconds he is adorable. His name is tinker.
Do you think he'll be safe for the moment? i can't get to the vet until he is willing to step up on my finger i don't want to brake trust. I have no ropes or anything besides wood inside the cage and i check on him 4/5 times a day and i'm in the room with him for a large time of the day also while using the computer as he is inside the computer room (my computer doesn't stay in the room with him) It'll probably be a week or two before i can get it removed. I'm hoping it'll not harm the budgie until then. :( if not safe is it possible to remove by ones self? (i'm guessing no)

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
There is not any really good reason to remove it if it is a CLOSED band, meaning one that is a single solid piece with no splits, and if it is properly fitting. In fact I would keep it as the only form of ID and proof of ownership that you have.

If it is a SPLIT band, one that has a seam, get it off. THOSE are the ones that catch on things.

As far as microchippjng, I’ve only had ONE vet tell me that chipping small birds like cockatiels and IRNs was safe; she then proceeded to KILL the sennie she had just insisted was safe to chip. He died in seconds. And even she said it was safe for anything over 50 grams and your Budgie is nowhere near that big so no, no microchipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Midnightstarian

Midnightstarian

Feb 24, 2018
Parrots
Okay thanks, yeah ill have to call because its a open band, they didn't even close it all the way. I'm not overly concerned about ID because my windows in his room are not open and he doesn't fly outside the room anyways. But i'd figure something out if he ever did for the sake of ID. I won't microchip no worries.

Most Reactions

Latest posts