Foot on head

Lucky123

Feb 26, 2013
Hello everyone..

I am new to this forum, but a second time lovebird owner. I just got my new lovebird, Lucky, who is around 6-7 months old. She loves to cuddle more than anything and loves to be all wrapped up in a blanket. I'm guessing this is because she is so young? She has moments where she can be quite active as well, but most of the time she would prefer cuddling.

One thing she does that is unusual to me is that when she is all fluffed up and ready to take a nap, she preens her feathers and cleans her feet for a while and then proceeds to put one of her feet on her head.

She puts one foot on her head and and leaves it for a while until she finds a new comfortable position. Is this normal for a young lovebird? I had purchased my previoius lovebird when he was around 2 years old. So i'm hoping this is baby behavior :)

She seems so peaceful and content when she is resting, but I still wanted to reach out to you other lovebird owners and make sure that this is normal behavior.

Thanks in advance!

mistywaterwoman

Jan 25, 2013
New Orleans, LA
Parrots
2 Peach-faced lovebirds (1 SeaGreen)
I'm a new lovebird owner, so I'll be watching to see what the experts on here have to say...
I'm hoping it's "normal" because it sure is cute!!! :)

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Cute pics! She looks like a feathery newborn all snuggled up in those blankets. And don't worry, there is absolutely nothing wrong with her giving her head a scratch. I don't think it's a "baby" behavior either, just something that feels good to some birds. I've never had lovebirds, but my 15 y/o amazon does the exact same thing. He fluffs himself up, reaches his little foot up there and slowly scritches his head. He even squints his eyes a little like your baby is in the last picture (I think because it feels good/relaxes them). It's like he's giving himself a head massage. So cute!

Annageckos

Jul 4, 2012
PA, USA
Parrots
Ziva - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
Cute pics! She looks like a feathery newborn all snuggled up in those blankets. And don't worry, there is absolutely nothing wrong with her giving her head a scratch. I don't think it's a "baby" behavior either, just something that feels good to some birds. I've never had lovebirds, but my 15 y/o amazon does the exact same thing. He fluffs himself up, reaches his little foot up there and slowly scritches his head. He even squints his eyes a little like your baby is in the last picture (I think because it feels good/relaxes them). It's like he's giving himself a head massage. So cute!

My GCC does this too. I assume it must feel really good.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Gorgeous lovey and adorable pics!!!!

Yes, she's just giving herself a head scratch! Too cute!

jsebasruiz

Apr 5, 2022
Parrots
3 Lovebirds
Its interesting... I have a 4 month year old love bird son of the other two I have and he's the only one that does it too, sometimes he makes sounds and tries to fall asleep like that

Most Reactions

Latest posts