For Australian members! Be quick!

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
I saw this episode of 'Catalyst' late - sorry for posting it so close to its expiry - but catch it on iview if you can! It's fascinating! (NB. Skip the first half if you're only interested in the birds/parrots bit).

Catalyst : ABC iview

There's some great pics of unusual parrot species, including the Orange-Bellied one. :)

Mekaisto

Jan 8, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Zookeeper who has worked with many bird species, and owner of a cheeky red-tailed black cockatoo (Ash)
I watch Catalyst whenever I can - I loved this episode :D

OP
Betrisher

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
See, I've had this theory about the evolution of humankind. We learn that Australia is the oldest continent; that we have the oldest rocks; the oldest fossils and many of the oldest plant species. We know that all the other continents broke away from Australia when continental drift first began. According to this doco, the birds evolved in Australia. We know the mammals may have evolved in Australia because we still have extant monotremes (egg-laying mammals).

With all this background, I've often asked myself 'How come no one ever wonders if man evolved in Australia rather than in Africa as has always been assumed?' Just because the oldest fossils have mostly come out of Africa doesn't mean there aren't a lot of even older ones lying around in Australia in places where people can't get to. Y'know? Anyway, it's just a theory of mine. I probably won't live long enough to hear the answer. :D

Anyway, after listening to the theory about the Bell Miners' song, I'll never hear them in quite the same way again. I knew they drove other species out of their ranges, but never really twigged that 'The Bells' were a part of the strategy. :(

PatW12

Nov 22, 2014
There are a number of reasons for Africa. No apes or even primates are found in Australia. So unless you prove that humans are really marsupials or monotremes in disguise, you are outa luck.

Secondly, the two great apes that share the most recent ancestor with humans are in Africa. It makes sense that the three originated there.

Third, fossils of early homo and australopithecines and even earlier forms are all African.

But hey, Australia is no slouch. It has marsupials, monotremes, and great birds. That should be enough for anyone.

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
I think that it depends on your view and how you assess the evidence presented regarding the Out-of-Africa and Multi-Regional theory for human evolution. My human evolution course was aaalllll about that, but it was 3 years ago and only 3 months long. Most of what I can remember simply revolves around knowing actual fossils, structures, and the species/genus they belonged to rather than the theories, haha.

And thanks for sharing that Trish, I'm going to have to look into that show! I hope I'll be able to find a source that will air it in Canada... I'm on my phone so I can't check, haha.

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
So unless you prove that humans are really marsupials or monotremes in disguise, you are outa luck.
Hello, Possums!
(for non-Australians/people with taste, this is a reference to Australia's megastar Dame Edna Everage)

OP
Betrisher

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Parrots
ROTFL! Strudel, please accept this virtual gladdy from me: -----BBBBBBa

Most Reactions