Foraging for ALL dry food?

Truepacifist

Jan 28, 2023
Parrots
I don't have a parrot yet but I want to get one and learn about them first
Is it healthy to have your parrot need to forage for all their dry food? Like set up a few foraging trays every day but free feed fruit and veg

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Is it healthy to have your parrot need to forage for all their dry food? Like set up a few foraging trays every day but free feed fruit and veg
Not just healthy, fantastic! Though, in addition to veggies, I give my birds access to pellets 24/7.

My Green cheek Tom LOVES acrylic foraging toys, especially foraging wheels, I just fill each compartment with paper shred, toys parts and bit of seed and pellets, he doesn't stop until it's empty! LOL

Not all birds will be avid foragers and will have to be taught how to find food.

OP
Truepacifist

Truepacifist

Jan 28, 2023
Parrots
I don't have a parrot yet but I want to get one and learn about them first
Not just healthy, fantastic! Though, in addition to veggies, I give my birds access to pellets 24/7.

My Green cheek Tom LOVES acrylic foraging toys, especially foraging wheels, I just fill each compartment with paper shred, toys parts and bit of seed and pellets, he doesn't stop until it's empty! LOL

Not all birds will be avid foragers and will have to be taught how to find food.
I'm thinking I will free feed pellets too until she gets to be a confident forager as I want to make sure she's eating enough. All the info I've found from zoos stress the importance of foraging in captivity but I wasn't sure if doing it for all the dry food might be too much. Will start simple.

MsTeej

Feb 1, 2022
Parrots
green cheeks, black capped conure

zERo, can you share what foraging toys you use. I've tried foraging wheels, but the ones on the market seem too large for a GCC..

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
zERo, can you share what foraging toys you use. I've tried foraging wheels, but the ones on the market seem too large for a GCC..
This is the one I use for my conure. He still loves playing with it!
Paradise Toys Bird Creative Foraging System Wheel, Spins with Food Inside, 6” Diameter https://a.co/d/gz2c10N

Most Reactions

Latest posts