Foraging Mat

FloridaParrotLover

Dec 12, 2019
Central Florida
Foraging

I just got I Foraging may and placed it on my sofa's arm so my Quaker could Foraging on it and not on my TV remotes or laptop keyboard. lol

so far seems to be working, when she starts Foraging on my stuff, I place here on it next to me and it works for a while. I got it off of Amazon here:
https://amzn.to/2YK0106

some food in the cups and some in between the other stuff. the treats and seeds are easy for her to find.

just wondering is this a good idea? of if anyone has any other secret tips?

Thanks
Sam

floridaparrotlover-albums-foraging-picture22717-20200827-180009-2.jpg

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Your baby Quaker is supper smart! And curious sbd confident! Most birds will freak when yiu introduce them to something new!

Most people with a new parrot would still be working on the trust bond and making friends. Yiuve got your girl flying g to you, checking out that scary big new thing. You really are doing great!

I havenā€™t seen the foraging mat before but it looks neat
Ok followed link see is fir dogs. One thing to be careful with if is has fuzzy threads/ fluff that come off. The birds get this in their mouth and all that starts to build up in their crop. So I donā€™t know... depends on what itā€™s made of, could be safe... See if others have any thoughts.

This is a link to yucca chips. Parrots love them. They are easy and fun for them to pick apart
Wesco Pet Kabob Shreddable Bird Toy https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002FP1W0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_-oosFbWEBZ0VX

A link to foraging ideas and teaching
http://blog.parrotenrichment.com/2013/11/creating-foraging-opportunities-part-i-getting-started/

Last edited:

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
No tips, just a thought... Try to keep an eye out for ingesting fibers from the material. They can plug things up in her crop/digestive tract which can be fatal. If she's just hunting for goodies in there, awesome!

Another thought to keep her busy- Quakers are notably the engineers of the parrot world. Just look at some of the nest/condominiums they build! Maybe try giving her a batch of plain old popsicle sticks and see what she does. I've heard they can come up with some amazing creations :)

OP
FloridaParrotLover

FloridaParrotLover

Dec 12, 2019
Central Florida
Your baby Quaker is supper smart! And curious sbd confident! Most birds will freak when yiu introduce them to something new!

Most people with a new parrot would still be working on the trust bond and making friends. Yiuve got your girl flying g to you, checking out that scary big new thing. You really are doing great!

I did not know that, she pretty much does what I ask. she does get spooked when something happens loud or fast, fly's circles the room. then lands back on her perch or cage.

when she does something wrong (fly's on cabinet or ceiling lights etc) I have a long branch, I hold it up and she walks on to it, (willfully) I then put her in her cage for a while. then let her back out.

I think she will get the message after a while, what not to do?

I needed to put pool screening up in some entry ways so see does not fly into rooms, or up stairs where I do not want her to go. it is to much work looking for here in other rooms when she does that. lol

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
She is very special and your bond is very special, lucky parrot!
I dint know that she would fly around the house without you???? Mine stay in my great room, they dint fly into the bedrooms or anything,
They want to stay with you. They prefer to stay in sight of you...
every parrot is their own personality , but I think she would only fly upstairs to follow you.

There is a bird flight harness called the aviator. You can train them to tolerate this, and itā€™s a way to take them outside with yiu. Usually only people with baby birds are successful with this. Yiu have to watch the DVD that comes with it. Yiu have to be vet careful not to break the trust bonds when training them to ware this. I have not been successful, I did break my GCC trust, took me a good long while to earn it back . So the people who are successful itā€™s awesome, but warning about he difficulties and possibly making your parrot hate you. Yiu canā€™t just grab them and out it on them. lol ok just wanted you to know that was an option since you might like taking her out with you.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I think getting a properly weaned by abundance , and allowed to fledge naturally, increases intelligence, confidence, and gives you a quality parrot . Itā€™s another reason it pays to find a good breeder, who cares and takes time with tge chicks. And getting a properly weaned parrot who has fledged and learned to fly , itā€™s going to pay off for life! For both of you. There is so much brain development that takes place when they learn to fly, they think quicker problem solve better...

You have a young parrot with a great foundation, and still an extra smart girl! Who obviously choose you!

I wish all the people making the horrible mistake of getting an unwened baby , would pay attention.

Anyway truest congratulations on your young Quaker, you did good! Are you going to send off for DNA test before choosing a name? Yiu can do it yourself, online if yiu wsnt

Last edited:
OP
FloridaParrotLover

FloridaParrotLover

Dec 12, 2019
Central Florida
She is very special and your bond is very special, lucky parrot!
I dint know that she would fly around the house without you???? Mine stay in my great room, they dint fly into the bedrooms or anything,
They want to stay with you. They prefer to stay in sight of you...
every parrot is their own personality , but I think she would only fly upstairs to follow you.

There is a bird flight harness called the aviator. You can train them to tolerate this, and itā€™s a way to take them outside with yiu. Usually only people with baby birds are successful with this. Yiu have to watch the DVD that comes with it. Yiu have to be vet careful not to break the trust bonds when training them to ware this. I have not been successful, I did break my GCC trust, took me a good long while to earn it back . So the people who are successful itā€™s awesome, but warning about he difficulties and possibly making your parrot hate you. Yiu canā€™t just grab them and out it on them. lol ok just wanted you to know that was an option since you might like taking her out with you.

[FONT=&quot]She flew upstairs once since I got her after she was startled... (took me a while to hear her calling me) so I just wanted to take precautions. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]she is free to fly, trying to train her to only fly on cage and perches that I set up around the house. Confined to living room and kitchen at the moment. so I did put up some screening.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Will take down when she gets the knack of things. I only had for 6 days so far.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]She was born on May 20th 2020[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I picked her up on August 22th 2020[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]So I am trying to figure out her personality. meanwhile trying to train her.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I am handling her gently, and when she does something wrong, (maybe not wrong, just going on what I do not want her on) I give her quiet time along in her cage. I retrieve her with a long branch, and she walks right on to it by herself, so she is OK with that method. i would get her by finger, but she is up to high.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Oh first I try just holding up my hand held perch, sometimes she just fly's back down onto it. I then I say good bird and put her on her cage or perch. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I'm learning as she is learning.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]When I put her in her cage she either goes to snack or plays, but as soon as I move around she is focused on me, then returns to eating or playing.[/FONT]

Each day I have been making more play or chew toys, and she goes right to them. She is very curious. Seems that she like them on the small side, so I am making them small light and chewable.

Plus Iā€™m reading posts, and looking to improve upon thing as I discover them.
I like this forum and have been searching.
I may try to make a training video soon and try to post it?

Thanks
Sam

Most Reactions