Foraging toys safe unwatched?

Lynx

Dec 21, 2017
Arizona
Parrots
Sammy, the Senegal.
Loki and Bruce, the Parakeets.
I'm thinking of getting my Senegal a couple of foraging toys for in and out of his cage. Was wondering if the plastic/metal ones are safe if left in his cage, or should I only put one on his stand where I can watch him with it? Have a few wood/grass ones that are ment to be destroyed also in mind. Since he likes to chew things I'd like some that I could re-use, but only if they'd be safe for him. Thanks. :gcc:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I only use dry treats that are not perishable (think nuts, cereal, seeds etc...) and would not start rotting in the open air myself. I wash his foraging toys when I was the other toys (about once a week) unless there is a specific reason to do so more often since I'm not concerned about anything spoiling. If you use wet or perishable food like fruit, then yes, you'll need to remove and wash the toy within a few hours so your bird doesn't get sick. You also need to wash if the toy gets poop on it, obviously.

If your bird has never done foraging before, I strongly recommend you start with a simple design that is ridiculously easy to get the treat out of and a clear container he can clearly see the treat in it. Maybe a cup with a loose cover type design to start with. Until he gets the idea of solving a puzzle for a treat, avoid the opaque ones or anything that involves lots of twisting, moving treats through "mazes" etc... as it will be too difficult and he'll just ignore it because his brain hasn't been trained to work that way yet. Once you notice the first toy becoming too easy, then look for a slightly harder one and once he masters that, a slightly harder one and eventually you'll be where we are and own ALL the foraging toys and have a bird who can solve all the puzzles in like 10 seconds flat:rolleyes:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Fully agree with Kiwi's Mom's approach! Our Amazons takes the pure brute approach as he takes the toy to the highest location and drops it from on-high. The more complex toys get the stairway treatment. If that doesn't work, he takes them fully apart.

Enjoy! They can be very clever buggers! And entertainment centers at the same time!

SammyAndyAlex

Sep 9, 2018
Parrots
Sammy - Jardines Parrot - Hatchday: 4.2.2014
Andy - Congo African Grey - Hatchday 6.12.2018
Alex - Congo AfricanGrey - Hatchday 19.1.2021
Sammy has a load of different foraging toys. My favorite toys are: "Food Tumbler", "Rings of Fortune" and "Snack Rack".

All of the afore mentioned ones would also work for a Senegal (Sammy is a Jardines parrot).

Food Tumbler is attached to the bars and sits on their "wall" whereas the Rings of Fortune and Snack Rack are attached to the roof of the cage. The Food Tumbler cannot be removed by a parrot, but the other two can (provided that your parrot can unscrew the hook attachments included).

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
depends on the toy---some of the less complex ones without screws etc could definitely be safe.

Most Reactions