Force a cockatiel's harnass training?

LoyalOrange503

May 25, 2019
UK
Parrots
2 Budgies.
1 Cockatiel
Hi,

So my cockatiel's quarantine has just finished and she's still getting introduced to my budgies and getting used to everything. I'm planning on eventually getting a harness for her and training her, but I've seen some video's on youtube and I've seen different ways of people handling the training of their cockatiel with it.
(unfortunately I've just looked for the video's but I cannot seem to find them on youtube)

So, I've seen some people say you need to be patient with your cockatiel and it might even take multiple years for the bird to get used to the harness (!), but when they're finally gotten used to it they'll be more than happy to get into one with some extra treats for convincing.

I've also seen some other people say that you kind of need to ''force it'' and that the bird won't be too happy with it, but once they're outside they'll be fine with it and happy they're allowed to go outside.

So, how do I go about this once I try and start to train my cockatiel in about 12 months+ time? Do I go and be patient or do I try to have a mix of patience and continuing to try and put it on her?

Thank you all in advance!

ParrotLover2001

Dec 20, 2016
In my parents house
Parrots
A cockatiel, a bourke, and three budgies
I would take it slowly, it will be the most rewarding. Forcing isn't the best, won't work most of the time. Taking your time and being patient will be the most effective. Your bird would be more comfortable and will enjoy it more if you take it slowly.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
don't force it. that will backfire on you in all likelihood.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
If you force it on your prrot, you'll get 1 or 2 uses out of it, and then a lot of bites, and be destroying any trust you have had between you and the bird. It took me a whole year of every day training to get to the point where my Amazon puts the harness on no big deal. And we still practice putting it on 1 or 2 nights a week.

Nothing about parrots gets done quickly, except busting trust. Keep that in mind.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I was able to get my YNA Bingo into an aviator harness on the 2nd try.
I did "force it" a bit but Bingo is an exception. If he is in the mood I can do just about anything with him, lift up his wings or hold him upside down.

The problem I had was taking it off. Bingo had very little patients for the removal process.

I bought an Aviator harness for my Cockatiels.... complete failure.
I can't get the harness close enough to them for them to get use to it. 2 of the Cockatiels are hand raised by my family and could not be more hand tame but it's a non-starter with them.
I have a theory. Birds are afraid of snakes and it could be the cord of the flight harness may spook them.

Good luck and take it slow.

OP
L

LoyalOrange503

May 25, 2019
UK
Parrots
2 Budgies.
1 Cockatiel
I was able to get my YNA Bingo into an aviator harness on the 2nd try.
I did "force it" a bit but Bingo is an exception. If he is in the mood I can do just about anything with him, lift up his wings or hold him upside down.

The problem I had was taking it off. Bingo had very little patients for the removal process.

I bought an Aviator harness for my Cockatiels.... complete failure.
I can't get the harness close enough to them for them to get use to it. 2 of the Cockatiels are hand raised by my family and could not be more hand tame but it's a non-starter with them.
I have a theory. Birds are afraid of snakes and it could be the cord of the flight harness may spook them.

Good luck and take it slow.

Thank you! I'm still fully in the introduction period, introducing my cockatiel to my budgies, but once I will start on the harness training, I'll take it slow.
Thank you to you and everyone that commented on this thread!

Most Reactions

Latest posts