Forest Fires

Qckslvr

Aug 2, 2020
San Jose
Parrots
Sun Conure
I am sure some of you have seen CA is one giant forest fire from the weekend's thunder storm. I live in San Jose, which is south Bay Area. We are not close to the fires, but they do surround us. You can see about a mile and the air smells of smoke.

My Condo does not have A/C, and we have been keeping the doors shut with fans running. So far we are able to keep the condo in the upper 80s while it is 100+ outside.

My worry is for our sun conure Perci. My eyes are watering, and my wife has asthma. She is starting to have some breathing issues. Is there anything we can do for Perci? :orange:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Sorry you are living amongst the awful fires. California is breaking temperature records and so many lightning-induced flames.

Seems you are doing all that can be done short of air cleaners. One or more purifiers depending on condo size may filter some of the worst particles - but it will only help just a bit. If you choose to buy one or more, avoid the type that ionize the air, unless there is an "off" switch. Ionization is harmful to parrots - I believe it produces ozone.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
You could get an air purifier (hepa, specializing in smoke and VOC removal). They good ones aren't cheap, but they are worth it in comparison.
You don't want to use one with an ionize, ozone or sanitize setting in the same house with a bird (unless that feature can be turned off indefinitely, as is the case with many).
AlenAir is my favorite (of the ones I have running)-- I am copying and pasting this off of my receipt---the first part is the style of purifier and the second is the style of filter. You really don't want to skimp on the filter if you are already dropping money on an expensive purifier, as the filter is the heart of everything.

I have noticed a HUGE difference with mine...I do have other brands running in the house, but this has been my favorite and it is very sensitive...love it, honestly...and good customer service. It isn't cheap, but it's super easy to get on a payment plan if you have tolerable credit. I pay $50 a month (ish). It is used in Noodles' room and while it is rated for 1100 square feet, and that sounds like a lot, purifiers are tricky in that respect....Even if you think, "oh my room is only 10x15" etc etc, you still need MORE square footage than you would think--- especially if doors are open etc. The square footage of the purifiers I have running is WAY larger than the size of my house (I have the Alenair, plus 2 other brands) BUT it isn't as straightforward as it sounds when you think of square footage as you would for flooring or something lol.

Alen BreatheSmart HEPA Air Purifier for Allergies, Chemicals and Cooking Odors

Here is the filter I use for it: Alen Breathesmart Classic True HEPA-FreshPlus Filter: BF35-VOC - FreshPlus

I have had many purifiers over the years, and finally broke down and bought a very nice one (the one above)...It has been so much better than the others.

I am NOT saying that this makes it safe to use chemicals around your bird or smoke indoors, or use unsafe cleaners etc etc (for anyone reading this other than the OP). I am just saying that when you have no choice (as the OP has no choice) then something like this can potentially reduce some of the damage/risk.

I will say that this purifier has been run for over a year now on "turbo" (24/7) and it is way quieter than many. It also doesn't produce major drafts due to the way it sucks in air. I have run it without stopping at the highest setting and still have not had to replace the filter. It has a filter indicator light, which is nice...It also has an air indicator quality light (and I have found this to be quite accurate). My filter light JUST turned "yellow" indicating I might need a new one soon and that was like a month ago...so it gives you plenty of time before saying, "DO IT NOW!" lol

I should also mention, I have a VERY VERY dusty bird...before this purifier, I was using a $50 one from Amazon that SEEMED okay...until I experienced the significant difference. I would not go back.
My "new" (old) house (when I moved in) smelled like cinnamon Glade Plug-ins and paint...this scared me a lot because I hadn't moved Noodles in yet (as I wanted to air the place out)....I tried opening windows, running fans out etc etc...No dice...I washed the walls with Dawn and washed all the curtains...still smelled like Plug-ins and paint.

I got this purifier and ran it for 48 hours, and the smell was SIGNIFICANTLY decreased...I did get 2 others by a different brand (both also true-hepa filters with VOC filtration) but they are not nearly as good.

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Fully agree with my fellow members above!
But, adding purifier(s) in an environment that is already very high in temperature and with little air exchange with the great outdoors is only going to drive air temperatures even higher.

I understand the want to save money by not using air conditioning, but both you and your partner are both having problems with the air quality. If the Humans are having problems, it is very likely that your Parrot(s) is as well...

There are numerous types of window air conditions that can be installed in vasty different type of windows. If the window(s) can be opened, with a bit of effort an air conditioner can be install. The most versatile is the unit that stands on the floor and has two tubes that are attached to an insert in the window opening.

Most Reactions