hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
I wasn't sure where to post this so my apologies if this is way the wrong place. I posted about a potential foster to adopt cockatiel I was caring for and long story short, I didn't adopt him, he had an adoption appointment with a sweet family this past weekend where I'm sure he'll be spoiled. The mom has cockatiel experience (although it's been years) and there's a middle school age kid. Honestly I think it'll go great but I'm devastated I had to say bye.

Does anyone else here foster? Be it cats or birds or small furry animals, I've always dreamed of being a foster, but my track record is so bad. I adopted 2 out of a 3 kitten litter I fostered last year, I adopted rats from a litter I fostered several years ago... and when I successfully rehome like with this cockatiel boy I'm a wreck for days over it. Does it get easier or am I just a bad match for fostering?

ShellyL

Feb 15, 2021
Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Parrots
Black capped conures, Duffy and Rocky
Lilac Crowned Amazon, Gemi
Blue Fronted Amazon, Paco
Alexandrine Parrots, Worf & Dougie
Congo African Grey, Ozzy
Parakeet, Stormy
I foster parrots and of course it is hard to let them go. However, the way I have come to see it is I am simply NOT the only person, nor am I the most qualified person, to provide the BEST care for every one of them. It would be arrogant to presume otherwise. There ARE good people out there.

Full transparency, I did adopt the first two birds I fostered (they are in my profile pic) so it has taken me a little time to get this fostering thing right! :)

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
I've fostered and, nope. Doesn't get easier, LOL. Once those birds wrap their toes around your heart, it's hard to let them go! Sending out Hugs your way!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I've done medical needs fosters, dogs, burds, wildlife, kittens.
You put so much work into saving them, and then a lot of joy when they recover. Yep its hard. And I worked to help rehabilitate shelter dogs ( aggressive ones, who 90% of the time weren't aggressive , just had difficulty trusting or transition from a family to a shelter situation) just fell into that when volunteering to walk dogs . I urge anyone to volunteer walking shelter dogs, lot of joy in that ( don't worry they won't give you mean ones!)
But knowing there was a big need for that kind of foster made it easier.
I'm not in a place in my life that I can do fosters anymore.

Big kudos to you for fostering! I hope you continue! So many can be helped that way ! Such a huge need!

Most Reactions

Latest posts