Found a chick in the street

Nasimbrisa

Apr 4, 2022
Parrots
Two budgies
68D64981-E9A6-4039-9A61-FAB1BA468379.jpeg

87B676B8-876A-43A6-BAF3-7DE9D34084E2.jpeg

She( actually don’t know the gender ) followed my mom and then stood on her shoe. My mom couldn’t find her owner so she brought her home. When I saw her I went outside to buy her food and my mom had gave her a little vegetable mix that I make for my budgies. Is that ok? She was really hungry and thirsty I think she was lost for a long time.
It’s been hours now and she barely stops eating and drinking. I’m kind of getting worried should I take the bowl out? And she doesn’t stop chirping (mostly softly and sometimes loudly)
I want to raise her can someone give me some tips? I’ve been searching but I’m getting a bit confused.
I think she’s 2 weeks old. And she tries to get on my hand when I change her water bowl. (Which I don’t really let her because she could be sick and I have two budgies)
Her chest looks too puffed up. And her poop is very big does she have diarrhea?(or maybe I’m just comparing her to my budgies)
I don’t have access to a vet Friday is weekend in my country and it’s public holiday until Monday.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
If you are in North America, be aware that Avian Flu is making itself known in the native bird population. I would keep this chick in strict quarantine away for your parrots. If your gong to feed her, try baby parrot formula, follow the directions.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
dont feed parrot formula, chicks can eat normal chicken feed right after hatching they dont need formula.

If you keep her you will need to get another female chicken (if she is indeed female) as chickens are aggressively social and can become very depressed and die without companionship. If that's not something you can do I would start looking for a homestead that has a preexisting flock that can take her.
If she is a rooster I would recommend rehoming her as he will need multiple hens to be his flock

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Definitely poultry! Can’t tell how big it is. Could be chicken or maybe a quail if it’s really small? It looks very healthy! Their poops are gross, even compared to parrots, haha. It needs food and water available at all times. It’s feathering out already but supplemental warmth wouldn’t hurt either (75-80F).

Agree that it will be much happier if you find someone who already has poultry. The bird flu is no joke and even if it isn’t exposed to that poultry have lots of diseases that parrots can catch that they aren’t adapted to survive as easily. Also, it will get very lonely on its own.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Please be very careful with hygiene, washing hands, changing clothes, not tracking the chick’s poop into your house. Yes, this is some sort of poultry, probably dark in color because it’s fuzzy feathers are dark. Looks quite small, too, quail or pheasant? It needs chicken food and not baby bird food. It may need some heat, like a light bulb it can cuddle under or being indoors.

I would not bring any sort of outside bird into my home at this time. You’re kind to care for the chick but you’re taking a risk. However, the chance has been taken so… fate will have its way. I hope everything works can out. It is a VERY cute chick!

Most Reactions