Found a local rescue *finally*!

After much searching for bird peoples in my area, I finally found some... on Facebook! No wonder I couldn't find them, I hardly use Facebook. An individual there kindly directed me to a local avian rescue, which was - you guessed it - also hiding on Facebook.

The location is a few hours away, but I'm thrilled to have adoption as an option regardless! I'd love the chance to give an older bird a home first, with purchasing from a breeder as a secondary option.

It'll be some time before then. I'll have to hop onto Facebook every now and then to lurk on the group page.

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
After much searching for bird peoples in my area, I finally found some... on Facebook! No wonder I couldn't find them, I hardly use Facebook. An individual there kindly directed me to a local avian rescue, which was - you guessed it - also hiding on Facebook.

The location is a few hours away, but I'm thrilled to have adoption as an option regardless! I'd love the chance to give an older bird a home first, with purchasing from a breeder as a secondary option.

It'll be some time before then. I'll have to hop onto Facebook every now and then to lurk on the group page.
I hope it goes well for you.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Quite a few of us on here have adopted. It really is a great option. I adopted a sun conure, and an eclectus parrot. The eclectus parrot I adopted I wasn’t exactly prepared for. I didn’t do much research on him, and he was quite picky with toys, food, people, and such. It took me quite a bit of time to get into a routine that worked for him. I would tell anyone adopting to do research so your trial and error period doesn’t go like mine did. It was quite the learning experience.

Quite a few of us on here have adopted. It really is a great option. I adopted a sun conure, and an eclectus parrot. The eclectus parrot I adopted I wasn’t exactly prepared for. I didn’t do much research on him, and he was quite picky with toys, food, people, and such. It took me quite a bit of time to get into a routine that worked for him. I would tell anyone adopting to do research so your trial and error period doesn’t go like mine did. It was quite the learning experience.
I know the basics of many species, enough to know that I wouldn't want to adopt an electus! But who knows, if the bird were insistent enough that it will be coming home with me, I might change my mind. X'D

Research first is always recommended.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
I know the basics of many species, enough to know that I wouldn't want to adopt an electus! But who knows, if the bird were insistent enough that it will be coming home with me, I might change my mind. X'D

Research first is always recommended.
I did a ton of research on macaws. A macaw was what I was attending to adopt. I fell in love with my Ekkie. He was so docile, and had such a lovely personality. I can put him on a stand next to me all day long. He just sits there, and may make some noise to be held once in awhile. I can read, and he just watches me. I just adored him, and he stood out to me. He feather plucks, he had a broken wing, and multiple medical issues. The macaw had full plumage, and was stunning. I just clicked with Nico, and my dream macaw wasn’t my dream anymore. I hope you share your experience.

Most Reactions

Latest posts