FOUND a Parrot

Texasvet

Mar 24, 2021
I found a parrot today in my front yard.

Can anyone identify this type of parrot for me?

Thanks
texasvet

file:///var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments/32/02/B54333C6-529D-4B0C-988C-9960B1E4C3DF/IMG_2926.PNG

26027d1616620390-found-parrot-9b626cee-bc83-4138-b86b-301ca55294f1.jpg

Attachments

• 9B626CEE-BC83-4138-B86B-301CA55294F1.jpg
    9B626CEE-BC83-4138-B86B-301CA55294F1.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 276
Last edited by a moderator:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Likely lost in your neighborhood, under 3 miles. Its a cockatiel. You can post on parrot 911 alert. Look on Facebook, on next door app, local shelter lost and found page

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Hi Texasvet, welcome to the Forums. That's a cockatiel you've got there, and a very pretty one at that, and there is probably someone looking for him too.

You can check local Facebook groups to see if anyone in your area has reported a lost bird, also check the ParrotAlert website to see if someone may have posted about a lost bird there. You can also post there yourself to advise that you have found him, here's a link that you may find helpful......

https://www.parrotalert.com/

Cockatiels are very strong flyers so this little one may have come from just next door, or from quite some distance! I hope you are able to reunite him with his owner who is likely missing him very much indeed :)

Last edited:
OP
T

Texasvet

Mar 24, 2021
Thanks All,

I posted on our neighborhood app 2 hrs ago, but no reply yet.

Are these birds expensive? If so, I would expect the owner to be looking for it.

If I’ve got it for a few days, what should I feed it?

How often should I give it water?

Thanks

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Water should be available at all times, and if he has been on the loose for any length of time he may be in need of a drink by now. In the short term you can feed a commercially available food that should be readily available at a local pet store - it's not possible to know if that's the type of food he's accustomed to but at this stage he's probably fairly hungry too.

Expensive or not, the owner will very likely be very upset to have lost a beloved pet, so I would encourage you to alert local vet clinics as well as checking the ParrotAlert website. Many of us here have suffered the loss of a cherished bird so i would recommend you try to find his owner.

OP
T

Texasvet

Mar 24, 2021
Water should be available at all times, and if he has been on the loose for any length of time he may be in need of a drink by now. In the short term you can feed a commercially available food that should be readily available at a local pet store - it's not possible to know if that's the type of food he's accustomed to but at this stage he's probably fairly hungry too.

Expensive or not, the owner will very likely be very upset to have lost a beloved pet, so I would encourage you to alert local vet clinics as well as checking the ParrotAlert website. Many of us here have suffered the loss of a cherished bird so i would recommend you try to find his owner.

Thanks,

Another question:

Our daughter’s friend is going to loan us a cage & some bird food. Her friend has parakeets, so the cage is probably a small one.

Can a cockatiel eat the same food that a parakeet eats?

Thanks

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Yes, my cockatiel and parakeet eat the same food so that should be just fine :)

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Tex, please make an effort to find the owner. I too lost a parrot many years ago, and it is heart breaking. Still hurts. You will get a lot of good karma for finding the owner!!! THanks!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Thank you!

Parrot 911

Don't use any non-stick cookware or standard or vented cleaners/air fresheners/plug-ins/fabreeze etc etc while that guy is with you-- teflon/ptfe/pfoa/pfcs are EXTREMELY common and very very dangerous for parrots when heated- even if the parrot is in a separate room with the door shut and on a different floor...still kills them (inconsistently- so don't assume that you can use it and that if he survives it is fine).

Thanks for reaching out!!

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
If you have an avian vet near you- make a call. A lost bird can be very sick if they have been out for a bit---they hide illness and stress makes that even worse. Tail bobbing, time at the bottom of the cage when not playing, changes in appetite, any sound when breathing, fluffed appearance etc= all signs of illness.

If he is sick and you wait for him to be found, it could be too late, so DO try and get an avian vet involved...If you do not have those, go for an exotics bet who sees a lot of birds.

I am not saying he looks sick, but I am concerned because you don't own birds at the moment and the number of fume dangers in the home is almost exponential, compounded by the stress of being lost and exposed to new germs/lack of food etc. He needs to be checked out.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
OP
T

Texasvet

Mar 24, 2021
We haven’t found the owner yet. Our young grandkids have fallen in love wit it, so for now, it has a home.

Thanks

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
At some point, exhausting reasonable efforts to reunite with former parronts, good to give it a wonderful home!

Sadly, some folks literally release unwanted birds, generally leading to starvation, attack, and death. Not saying that is the case in your situation.

Most Reactions

Latest posts