Found: One pretty little cockatiel in Brisbane, Australia :)

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
So there we were, minding our own business this afternoon (Friday in Australia), when my husband told me he'd see an obviously escaped cockatiel perched in the palm tree in our neighbour's back yard. Not thinking for one moment we would be able to successfully rescue "her" (not sure of gender but I'm going with female for now), we took a dish of pellets out there to try to tempt her down. After a brush with the local and very territorial noisy miner birds who almost chased her away, she cautiously made her way down and landed on my shoulder, and immediately took to those pellets with great enthusiasm!

And here's a pic of our little house guest ...
IMG_0162.JPG

She's a pretty little thing, and very tame, so is obviously someone's much loved pet. I have made a report on www.parrotalert.com and advised my regular avian vet (not open on the weekends sadly) plus another bird vet a few suburbs away. Will be listing on Fb, and listing here on the off chance that the rightful owner may find us here at Parrot Forums.

I'm pretty sure someone out there is missing her very badly and I would love to be able to reunite her with her family, so please contact me by private message here if you think this little sweetheart is yours. :)

OP
LaManuka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
How pretty birdie! I hope she will find her owner :)
I hope so too Roz, I'm sure there's someone out there who loves her and is missing her very much โค๏ธ

OP
LaManuka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Your heart needed this lift and she recognised that you were just what she needed. I hope you find her owner but while with you I feel sure she will bring you joy.
Thank you T00t. I don't think it was any coincidence that she just "happened" to find her way here either ;) โœจ

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
She's beautiful โค๏ธ But her poor owner must be missing her so much...I hope they're reunited soon.

D

Deleted member 42416

You never knowโ€ฆif she goes unclaimed she has found the most loving home at a time that is very unlikely to be coincidence. Sometimes the Lord doesnโ€™t work in mysterious waysโ€ฆsometimes they are very obvious!

Even if she is reunited with her former ownerโ€ฆ.what a beautiful little blessing from above! Perhaps, just a memo that when you are ready, a feather-baby is waiting! ๐Ÿฅฐโ™ฅ๏ธโ™ฅ๏ธ

OP
LaManuka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Awww, what a gorgeous house guest! Be interesting to see what develops.....!
I know, right??

I had been planning on hopefully getting a baby lorikeet in May or June when a breeder contact has some babies again, but this may have thrown a spanner in the works there - albeit a very cute one :) Either that, or the flock is about to expand to four should i not be able to find her rightful owner!

She started to reveal her full repertoire of sounds yesterday, and she has such a very sweet little voice :) She also makes kissy kissy sounds, can say "peekaboo", and I'm pretty sure I heard a "pretty bird" in there too. I got some video yesterday - apologies for the big bird poop at the end, but bird poop is an inevitability for folks like us ;)

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
I know, right??

I had been planning on hopefully getting a baby lorikeet in May or June when a breeder contact has some babies again, but this may have thrown a spanner in the works there - albeit a very cute one :) Either that, or the flock is about to expand to four should i not be able to find her rightful owner!

She started to reveal her full repertoire of sounds yesterday, and she has such a very sweet little voice :) She also makes kissy kissy sounds, can say "peekaboo", and I'm pretty sure I heard a "pretty bird" in there too. I got some video yesterday - apologies for the big bird poop at the end, but bird poop is an inevitability for folks like us ;)

Oh no....
My heart....
It's stolen....

OP
LaManuka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
She is so stinking cute!!!! Now, how long are we going to keep calling her โ€œhouse guestโ€?
I dub thee no longer a house guest.
Her name is now 'The Cockatiel'.

OP
LaManuka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
She is so stinking cute!!!! Now, how long are we going to keep calling her โ€œhouse guestโ€?
Oh I don't know. I don't think she could have been away from her home for more than 24 hours when we caught her. She's in too good condition and we've had the most dreadful rain and flooding here the week prior and I very much doubt she'd have survived that so she cannot have been on the loose for long. Have had a few enquiries on the post I made on Fb, but neither of those were her family :(

We thought, in view of her arrival here coinciding with the loss of our beloved Uncle Jim, we might call her "Jemima" in honour of him, and I like to call her "Little Jem" - that will also work if it turns out that she's a he ;) โค๏ธ

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Oh I don't know. I don't think she could have been away from her home for more than 24 hours when we caught her. She's in too good condition and we've had the most dreadful rain and flooding here the week prior and I very much doubt she'd have survived that so she cannot have been on the loose for long. Have had a few enquiries on the post I made on Fb, but neither of those were her family :(

We thought, in view of her arrival here coinciding with the loss of our beloved Uncle Jim, we might call her "Jemima" in honour of him, and I like to call her "Little Jem" - that will also work if it turns out that she's a he ;) โค๏ธ
Aww, that's great! Although, an escaped bird can survive a bad rainstorm (Stormy did, ironically).

Most Reactions

Latest posts