Found this little guy

Panamaparrot

Mar 17, 2021
I think this is a juvenile Amazon parrot but I'm not 100% sure. Can anyone confirm that, and also any guesses on how old he/she might be would be welcomed.

See attachment for photo, and thanks for the help!

25983d1615999753-found-little-guy-julio.jpg

Attachments

• Julio.jpg
    Julio.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 219
Last edited by a moderator:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Possible a 'Yellow-Crowed Amazon.'

I agree that it is a young Amazon, likely under 2.5 years of age.

What is your plan regarding this Amazon?

OP
P

Panamaparrot

Mar 17, 2021
I think he may be younger, only because he can't fly yet. I think he may have fallen out of a nest from a tree in my front yard (I live in Panama.) I have owned one of these birds before and am familiar with their care and feeding so I am considering keeping it as a pet.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to the forums, beautiful bird! Are there local laws regarding keeping wild parrots? Just curious, not being judgmental!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
And, this so defines the difficulty of determining species and age of young Amazons. It would be surprising that the parents are not screaming for their baby.

OP
P

Panamaparrot

Mar 17, 2021
The tree he fell out of is right in front of my house and I have heard no screaming parents...

Noahs_Birds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 24, 2019
Toowoomba/Highfields, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Yellow Sided GCC's, Rosa Bourkes Parrots, Full Red Fronted Turqoisine Parrots, Quaker Parrots 'Scomo PM' 'Jenny PM's wife', PLUS: Rare Finches, Doves and Quail
He's only just fledged the nest, are his parents nearby? Can you return him back to the hollow? Chicks thats have only just fledged the nest are very vulnerable and are very difficult to feed when they aren't independent from their parents at that age yet unless you have a crop feeding syringe. Might be worthwhile taking it to your local wildlife rescue clinic to see if they'll look after it. In the meantime try and offer it maybe some mashed banana and see if it will take it (it might be old enough to eat small amounts)

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I know with many birds, as fledglings , fall to the ground and are often harmed by rescue efforts (as fledging is normal and natural and people disrupt it with good intentions).

If you can set him back out and watch from afar during daylight hours, see if the parents will come feed him. That can be normal.

If you are keeping a serious distance and no parents come, then consider next steps.

Saash

Jan 13, 2021
Durban, South Africa
Parrots
Eclectus
Is it eating ok? You may need to hand feed if its a baby.

Hand feeding can be done by spoon, but its quite a learning curve. I have a good recipe for weaning food that is natural and nutritionally balanced, let me know if you need weaning recipe?

Most Reactions

Latest posts