Found tiny white worms in birds’ water bottle

90scerealkiller

Oct 26, 2022
Parrots
Majora
Ocarina
Hello! Hope this is a good place to post this, but recently I just bought a glass water bottle for my conures. They love bathing and dipping food in their water bowls so even before the day has ended, it’s really dirty. I got a waterbottle for them for these issues, and it’s been great!

It’s been about a week or so now and they’ve just almost drank the whole thing, plus I’ve noticed the bottle itself getting cloudy so I decided to change it while my parents were out since they don’t like the birds out. It came to my surprise when I looked at the “cap” of the bottle and found small, white worms (imagine very tiny maggots) grouped in there. I feel really bad that I didn’t check the water more often, and I worry that I might’ve caused them to potentially get parasites/worms.

I have a few questions relating to this.
1) Most importantly, are these worms dangerous? Should I get them to a vet/worm them?

2) How often should I be cleaning the bottle? Could the fact that I left it for a while cause the worms to grow?

3) What are some measures I should put in place so this doesn’t happen again?

I just at least want to know whether I should be concerned or not, I feel terrible :(
I’ll put a bowl in for now until I figure out what to do, thank you for your time <3

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Hello! Hope this is a good place to post this, but recently I just bought a glass water bottle for my conures. They love bathing and dipping food in their water bowls so even before the day has ended, it’s really dirty. I got a waterbottle for them for these issues, and it’s been great!

It’s been about a week or so now and they’ve just almost drank the whole thing, plus I’ve noticed the bottle itself getting cloudy so I decided to change it while my parents were out since they don’t like the birds out. It came to my surprise when I looked at the “cap” of the bottle and found small, white worms (imagine very tiny maggots) grouped in there. I feel really bad that I didn’t check the water more often, and I worry that I might’ve caused them to potentially get parasites/worms.

1) Most importantly, are these worms dangerous? Should I get them to a vet/worm them?

2) How often should I be cleaning the bottle? Could the fact that I left it for a while cause the worms to grow?

I just at least want to know whether I should be concerned or not, I feel terrible :(
I’ll put a bowl in for now until I figure out what to do, thank you for your time <3
I'm not sure what kind of worm they could be, as for them being treated for worms @Laurasea @Cottonoid ?

Question 2- You should empty and clean the bottle everyday. I wouldn't take a conures bowl away, my Green cheek makes a mess with his water sure but I change it twice a day so it's no problem. Bacteria starts to form (aka biofilm) in just a few hours.

Also don't just clean the bottle, clean the tube the water comes out of too.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I wonder if your “little worms” got in from birds moistening their food under the tube.

it is quite likely that this is just a fruit fly or gnat, like we get in our kitchens, or compost fly like we get in potting soil. I treat my potted plant soul with mosquito bits bacterial pellets which kill the compost fly worms. I bet that’s where your little worms are coming from. Those are also the things that grow in your drain when you get “carbohydrate flies” in your sink. You have to clean your drain with bleach or boiling water to kill those guys, and I have gotten them in my drain at times.

I soak my glass water bottles with a mild bleach solution (drop tube in to soak too) and then rinse well with clean water before refilling. I also have a baby bottle brush and I use the tiny nipple brush to clean out the tube.

I doubt they’re avian parasites. But you could have a fecal smear checked at your birds next exam or if they get skinny.

P.a. I’m going to take a close look at my water bottles now!

Last edited:

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
What HeatherG mentioned the white worms could be are parasites. The nat larva can live host eyeballs. I would call your vet and see about taking a sample in to be tested. If you take a picture of your birds with a flash see if you see any squiggle lines in their eyes (can also use a low light flash light).

I know ivermectin is used in deworming birds but unaware of dosage.

I change the water of my birds once a day. But I use a bowl and not a bottle. Anne makes soup out of her water 🙈🙉🙊

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Everyone have their own opinion regarding water bottles. I avoid them for this very reason as they must be kept very clear (as with all water sources) as this and other problems can quickly develop.

I would recommend using the dishwasher and on the sanitizer setting (very hot water) for all water sources.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I agree, IMO cleaning bottles regularly is even more important than open dishes. I wash my dishes in hot water daily then spray with a bird safe disinfectant and let dry (I ended up with duplicates of the bowls so I can rotate).

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
What HeatherG mentioned the white worms could be are parasites. The nat larva can live host eyeballs. I would call your vet and see about taking a sample in to be tested. If you take a picture of your birds with a flash see if you see any squiggle lines in their eyes (can also use a low light flash light).

I know ivermectin is used in deworming birds but unaware of dosage.

I change the water of my birds once a day. But I use a bowl and not a bottle. Anne makes soup out of her water 🙈🙉🙊
No, they are almost certainly NOT the worms that live in eyeballs. Those are a tropical problem.

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
No, they are almost certainly NOT the worms that live in eyeballs. Those are a tropical problem.
According to veterinarian merk manual the fruit flies are intermediate hosts.

Eyeworms (Thelazia californiensis and T. callipaeda) are parasites found in dogs, cats, and other animals, including humans, in the western United States, Europe, and Asia. They are whitish, 0.5 to 0.75 inches (7 to 19 millimeters) long, and move in a rapid snake-like motion across the eye. Up to 100 eyeworms may be seen in the conjunctival sac, tear ducts, and on the conjunctiva under the nictitating membrane (third eyelid) and eyelids. Filth flies (including the common house fly) and, possibly, fruit flies serve as intermediate hosts and deposit the infective eyeworm larvae on the eye while feeding on secretions from the eyes

Ivermectin (taken orally or topically) is a treatment.

I have never dewormed any of my birds (including the sparrow because he already had chemical poisoning that he is still removing from). But I do know ivermectin is used to deworm parrots.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I don’t think that’s correct. CDC says that those worms are tropical and carried by roaches. And Guinea worms are confined to Africa and transmitted by ticks.

Unless the poster lives in an agricultural and warm area this is not likely. Thelazia californiensis is generally found in dogs, esp mammals. Wild animals and scavengers (dogs) that eat offal from outdoors.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Take care regarding the CDC and WHO as both organizations have been having serious problems with documentation of late. Documentation of six to ten years ago is far more reliable and I believe that is what you are referencing.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I think water bottle worms are fruit flies, mosquitoes, or something like that.

Super gross tho!!! Would freak me out.

Like sailboat I'm against water bottles....as I've read so many stories of being plugged birds get dehydration and harbor bacteria and such

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
At any rate, eye worms would be VERY UNLIKELY for an indoor pet parrot, and very unlikely in a temperate climate.

May be exciting to imagine but why upset this poster without need?

This is likely from food contamination as the worms are observed in a food container where food has been sitting for a few days. That’s why I gave the answer I gave. In any case if these were the “eye worms” the current stage seen in food/water would be egg, not worm.

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
In western PA The eye worms in canines is a thing thats why I relayed the information as it is relevant. I rather have too much information than not enough ...person
At any rate, eye worms would be VERY UNLIKELY for an indoor pet parrot, and very unlikely in a temperate climate.

May be exciting to imagine but why upset this poster without need?

This is likely from food contamination as the worms are observed in a food container where food has been sitting for a few days. That’s why I gave the answer I gave. In any case if these were the “eye worms” the current stage seen in food/water would be egg, not worm.
If this comment is directed at me. I live in the United States in a non tropical area (rather on the cold side) and my local vet office has seen multiple cases (this is a small animal practice). I'm on this site to share my love for birds but to also gather information. I rather have more information than too little but regardless the post asked about these worms and if they could be potentially be dangerous. I responded with what Nats can carry. And I personally do not find parasites exciting in anyway :/.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Right…but they’re found in DOGS. Which eat vermin and offal that’s contaminated by those parasites.

We all have different backgrounds on this forum. I feel that I can give a very informed opinion about this. That indoor parrot is not out eating roadkill, jackrabbits, squirrels, foxes. That is how those canine worms are spread. The bird is indoors and the poster observes worms in water bottle, probably from food contamination.

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
Right…but they’re found in DOGS. Which eat vermin and offal that’s contaminated by those parasites.

We all have different backgrounds on this forum. I feel that I can give a very informed opinion about this. That indoor parrot is not out eating roadkill, jackrabbits, squirrels, foxes. That is how those canine worms are spread. The bird is indoors and the poster observes worms in water bottle,
We are going no where. They got the worms from Nats not eating other wild animals like you said. I shared as there are cases not in tropical climates and it is not unheard of. I've had actual experience in this -delt with actual patients. As I said multiple times in regards to parrots that I've never had experience in this.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Either way, I think we can agree that focusing on thoroughly cleaning the water source daily should prevent future contamination issues :)

@90scerealkiller you might also consider putting a water bowl or two in addition to the bottle if you keep the bottle. Dunking food and bathing, to my understanding of the conures I've met, is a typical and normal activity for them and they might like having that option even though they'll also have a clean drinking water source?

miki

Jun 26, 2014

Ouch!! That really does not sound at all good, and could be downright dangerous to your birds. While it's agreed that one should clean the bottles and change the water every day, it's probably best to use stainless steel food dishes for your birds, and and have extra sets of food and water dishes so that you can put them in the dishwasher and use an extra set to give them new food every 2-3 days, and change the water every day. Sorry that happened. Keep us posted, and good luck.Sorry that happened.

Most Reactions

Latest posts