Free-flight resources? Help?

Gillis

Sep 26, 2015
upstate NY
Parrots
Paco TAG 18 yrs ~&~ Peanut GCC 1 yr
Hi all,

I haven't had my GCC for long yet but we are starting to form a bond. He is 1.5 yrs old. I sense that he would like to fly and I am all for giving him the opportunity to. When I got him his primaries were clipped but he has since molted a few of them and regrown some full primaries. If this continues he will be fully flighted before long.

I am not sure personally if I am ready yet to have him flighted. I am going back and forth about clipping and waiting until his next molt.

I have ordered a harness and I have been acclimating him to the clicker and have done some basic commands with him. He is extremely "touchy," lets me touch him anywhere anyhow, and I think we can easily work on getting used to a harness. We'll find out soon. Now I am starting to think about free flight training and I have no experience with this. This is not something I want to go into blindly, but I have to admit, I am just dying to get this long process started because I think it will ultimately be very rewarding for both he and I.

Does anyone have any good suggestions on how to begin or have any links or good forum posts they could point me to to get started? There's a lot of materiel out there. Bear in mind he is a conure.

Thanks to anyone who is willing to provide some references for me!

Last edited:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Do you mean free flight as in out doors flying? Or just flying inside in general?

If you mean flight in general.... this is a great Youtube place to start!
https://www.youtube.com/user/flychomperfly

There are plenty of places online about flight training, although most is about free-flight, I do not recommend free-flight! Just indoor flight, or flight outside on a harness! (under supervision, of course!)

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Do you mean free flight as in out doors flying? Or just flying inside in general?

There are plenty of places online about flight training, although most is about free-flight, I do not recommend free-flight! Just indoor flight, or flight outside on a harness! (under supervision, of course!)

Wow! Great resource!

OP
Gillis

Gillis

Sep 26, 2015
upstate NY
Parrots
Paco TAG 18 yrs ~&~ Peanut GCC 1 yr

Thanks so much, this looks great! For now, I am getting him a harness to be outside with and I would like to have him flight trained within my home only. I do live with four cats and that's the main reason I feel that we need to be able to communicate about where he is allowed to fly.

Most Reactions

Latest posts