free flying, gps, etc

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
So as some of you know I am intending to get a GCC soon and I've been really in love with the concept of free flying but Lincoln doesn't fly and I don't believe cockatiels/Apollo specifically is a good candidate. I just saw birdtricks most recent video of a pair of black capped conures free flying and now I really want to teach my upcoming bird to free fly. I know it's a lot of work but I am also currently taking courses to learn dog training and a lot of the techniques can be applied to other animals (it's used in zoos too) and I was wondering if any of yall have experience free flying conures? And in the video they used small gps attached to the tail of the conure and I was wondering if anyone knows where I could get that?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Our Amazon has long been a Free Ranging /Free Flying 24/7 guy, Within Our Home! We would never allow him such freedom in the Great Outdoors as we Live in Red Tail Hawk central with Five Families that use a large part of our side and backyard to train their young high-speed in-side turns. Add to that group, we are also visited by Eagles, Owls and a couple of other air based predators!

So, before you place all your time into training your Parrot, plus invest in a harness based GPS sending unit. You may want to check what is roaming your skies prior to beginning. And, yes, any of the group above will attack you to get to your Parrot!

But, don't let me caution you, do as you please.

FYI #1: It all first starts with recall training in your home!
FYI #2: Well trained Free Flies many times do not return home, as some times, they just keep going. In fact it is fairly common.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Thye've done some collaboration with a place I believe called Marshall Radio (or some similar name) for GPS and telemetry. I'd caution: unless you want to turn out like that horrid Caroline von Peltzhold lady - or whatever her name is - GPS really is for fully trained birds where flyoffs aren't something to be totally worried about. They can become a crutch for untrained birds; admittedly the fact that you don't even have the bird and you want the GPS already scares me.

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
yeah I wouldn't bring them outside unharnessed without extensive indoor / enclosed / tethered training and I wouldnt fly her in my neighborhood as we have hawks and vultures and the occasional owl I would bring her to safer areas.

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Thye've done some collaboration with a place I believe called Marshall Radio (or some similar name) for GPS and telemetry. I'd caution: unless you want to turn out like that horrid Caroline von Peltzhold lady - or whatever her name is - GPS really is for fully trained birds where flyoffs aren't something to be totally worried about. They can become a crutch for untrained birds; admittedly the fact that you don't even have the bird and you want the GPS already scares me.

I'm just trying to research to get an understanding on everything and where I could even get resources. what's wrong with that?

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Absolutely nothing wrong with asking/researching. But people who ask those kinds of questions about crutch-type objects typically - but not always - have their eyes on implementation sooner rather than later, not a good indicator for future outcome. Hence the note of caution. That’s all.

Last edited:
OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
I rather have a GPS in place as a worse case scenario. I still intend to do every inch of training I can and if I discover it's just not gonna work out for xyz I would definitely not continue to force it and put the bird into an unsafe situation. I'm someone with quiet a lot of anxiety and while I do actively work on getting better I still understand not everything is within my control and a sudden gust of wind is definitely a possibility. So again, I just rather have it in place as a last resort safety measure but I would be relying on training rather than "crutches" as you put it.

Birdboo

May 3, 2021
Australia
Parrots
6 budgies
Milo, Sunny, Candy, Bluey, Bingo, Muffin
Maybe work on indoor recall before you do outside. I have an amazing video by Mikey the Macaw which tell you all the best free flight trainers for all over the world

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBCiUwtcORA"]So, You Want To Free Fly Your Parrot? || The Guide To Finding The Best Trainer For You! - YouTube[/ame]

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots

Most Reactions