Freezing for Eckies

Freespin

Nov 28, 2013
Waikato New Zealand
Parrots
Male senegal - Stephen. Previously Barry - Male Barraband
Nelson - Male Eclectus
A few questions =D

I pick up my Eckie tomorrow and am very prepared for his dietary requirements but i was wondering if anyone has tried preparing food and freezing portions? I have heard of feeding mix vegies from the freezer (defrosted) so was wondering if it would work if i was to cut up all of my fruit and vege for him and freeze individual portions that i could take out daily to defrost and feed.

Similarly has anyone found anything in particular that does or doesn't freeze well? Im huge on variety and having only one Eckie and a Barraband it would be a lot easier to buy a week or so supply of fruit and vege for them at a time rather than having to head out to buy it every few days.

Thanks =D

Boysmom

Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Ruby- Solomans Island Grand Eclectus ***
Flora- Panama Amazon
I freeze food for my Ekkie all the time. I usually freeze in individual portions for a months worth. It truly makes life easier.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
What a great question! Boysmom, what kind of fruits do you freeze?

Boysmom

Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Flora- Panama Amazon
All type of berries, cantaloupe, honeydew, kiwi, mango, papaya. Most all fruits can be cut up and frozen , just make sure to freeze on a cookie sheet then transfer to freezer bags. Any other way ends up with a giant block of frozen fruit that is very hard to seperate.
I also make a months supply of mash from sweet potato, pumpkin and acorn squash- cook it all , mush it all in food processor then freeze in ice cube trays. When frozen dump them all in a freezer bag, and voila ready to serve portions.
Birdie bread I bake monthly and freeze in portions also. Brown rice mixed with veggie mix I freeze in ice cube trays also.

You can really simplify the fresh food feedings this way. I usually spend one Sunday afternoon a month preparing the months worth of birdie meals.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Thank you so much! That will make my life much easier for all my birds. What is the best way to thaw it?

Boysmom

Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Flora- Panama Amazon
I simply set them out on the counter while I cook the human food and allow it to defrost at room temp.

If you microwave make sure to mix it up well and check for hot spots, you don't want a burned crop.

OP
Freespin

Freespin

Nov 28, 2013
Waikato New Zealand
Parrots
Male senegal - Stephen. Previously Barry - Male Barraband
Nelson - Male Eclectus
Thanks you have been very helpful! How big are your portions roughly?

Most Reactions

Latest posts