Friends wanting to pet your bird with unclean hands?

birdlover70

Dec 23, 2012
How do you politely tell visitors/friends they can't pet your bird without washing their germy hands first?? I don't let her out of her cage when I have visitors but people tend to go to her cage and want to play and pet her..she is very friendly..i cringe when this happens!...what can I say without insulting a person??

Danny1

Oct 18, 2023
Parrots
2 Sun Conure
I don’t find it insulting to tell someone to wash their hands but you can also place a bottle of hand sanitizer in an obvious spot near or on the cage maybe they’ll get the hint. Or sign that says “wash hands before touching”.

Featherii_Fids

Jan 15, 2022
Media
UAE, Abudhabi
Parrots
Yuko [M] - Yellow headed Budgie. [Healthy, Tame.]
Snowii [F] - BV dilute opaline lovebird. [Healthy, hand-raised.]
Luna [F] - Indigo budgie. [RIP,.]
How do you politely tell visitors/friends they can't pet your bird without washing their germy hands first?? I don't let her out of her cage when I have visitors but people tend to go to her cage and want to play and pet her..she is very friendly..i cringe when this happens!...what can I say without insulting a person??
This is very relatable. Usually when this happens, i say ' Please wash your hands before going near her. ' . but My lovebird, snowii, is quiet fiesty towards strangers which eventually scare guests off. but the sign also works, i have done it.

OP
B

birdlover70

Dec 23, 2012
I don’t find it insulting to tell someone to wash their hands but you can also place a bottle of hand sanitizer in an obvious spot near or on the cage maybe they’ll get the hint. Or sign that says “wash hands before touching”.
Thanks..That is a great idea..would you know of a good non-toxic hand sanitizing wipe?

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
I would just politely tell them, like, "Hey, can you please wash your hands before touching her? Thanks". I wouldn't take offense if someone tells me I should wash my hands before touching their own bird.

OP
B

birdlover70

Dec 23, 2012
I would just politely tell them, like, "Hey, can you please wash your hands before touching her? Thanks". I wouldn't take offense if someone tells me I should wash my hands before touching their own bird.
I know, but the thing is.. if a person isn't actually a bird owner like us, they wouldn't think of it as a necessary thing for the hands to be clean. They probably think the opposite-that they need to wash their hands AFTER touching the bird. They don't know the importance of clean hands before handling a bird. I think I might have to move her to another room because by saying "can you wash your hands first" I just feel like I'm telling the person they're not clean or they're a slob and that is offensive I think. 😐

Niner10Tango

Nov 10, 2012
Media
SE Michigan
Parrots
Tango a White Faced Pied Cockatiel
I have told many people to please wash their hands first before handling my bird. Usually, he will sit on a shoulder and fly back to me.. Many of my friends and family have either dogs or cats and I will make a comment of "I know you are good about hygiene/ grooming of your pet, I just want to take an extra step, so please wash the hands before" and I would suggest to wash hands afterwards too. Usually works because it doesn't take him long to poop on them. He poops every 15 minutes or so.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I would tell people that it's not about germs or dirty hands rather than the natural skin oils and added lotions people use on their hands tend to get on the bird's feathers attracting dirt and dust that cling to and soil their feathers until molted once a year. And I would also suggest they wash their hands after petting my bird because their feathers have a natural powder that will cling to their hands. Especially cockatoos and tiels! Or just warn them your bird may bite strangers and watch how fast they pull their dirty hands away!

Most Reactions